Need help with algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris86

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am in charge of the tank at work and it has a bad algae problem. A little back ground on the tank. It was nasty when I started really bad algae problem one 3 foot light the tank is a 230. So took it down and cleaned the whole tank new decorations and new media got rid of the old light brought a dual t5 light in from home. The only thing I did not do was clean all the substrate. Did fishless cycle with ammonia. The tank was looking good was fighting brown algae at the beginning. I got that all taken care of but now I am having a bad green algae problem. The water tests good light only on for 8-5 but in a well lighted shop. Im am at a lost what to do now. I spent 2.5 hrs cleaning algae last week.

I have 2 tanks at home and one is by a window and I don't have algae problems in it and my other is a cichlid tank and its is perfect always get compliments how clear and clean it is. The big tank is work tank other 3 pics are my home tank

Attachments

• 20140627_113058.jpg
    20140627_113058.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2541870075771.jpg
    IMG_2541870075771.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2546854267665.jpg
    IMG_2546854267665.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2551898701257.jpg
    IMG_2551898701257.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 71
Is the work tank planted? How.long are the lights on?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Algae Problem

Hello Chris...

Algae is a good thing. It appears you have a very healthy tank. Algae is good food for most fish, a good water filter and under decent control, it's got a pleasing color.

I have some hair algae in my tanks and it looks good. All you need to do is keep the tank water clean with routine water changes, don't feed too much and possibly add a floating plant that will compete with the algae for any excess nutrients in the tank water. I like Hornwort. Brazilian or Common water weed is another that uses extra nitrates in the water.

Don't fret over the small stuff!

B

Just take one of the bulbs out? How are the nitrates?

Would have to check them no know exact and there are 14 giant danios

Excess nutrients in the water would be my guess, coupled with to much light.. reduce intensity and up.the water changes if possible?? Total guess here though, without knowing exact water parameters. .

Ph high range over 8.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate between 20-40

High nitrates are a common culprit when it comes to algae... I would suggest some java fern or anubias as they do well helping with nitrates and can handle higher ph levels

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom