need help with blackwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am trying to figure out how much salt goes in to a blackwater tank

how much salt goes into a black water tank

I'm no expert, and like I said in your other post, I know nothing about Blackwater, but I did find this page on another site that talks about setting up a blackwater tank. It does not mention adding salt at all. The "Black" part of the tank comes from the natural tannins leached into the water from wood and other vegetable matter. I don't know if that helps, but maybe someone else will have more info.

No salt in blackwater. The water is supposed to very soft. Driftwood, oak leaves and peat moss can help get the soft brown water you want for a black water tank. Various peat extracts are also available which do a decent job as well.

Salt is added to water to make it brackish. Cichlid salts are also available to make water hard, like the African great lakes.

Black water tanks don't need salt. The easiest way to get the tannins going is with some Mopani wood. That way you don't even need the leaves. If you use RO/DI water or just have soft water to begin with, then you won't even need the peat moss.

Back
Top Bottom