Need help with high ammonia levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike C

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
And is 6 weeks in. 36 gallons. Have a canister filter designed for up to 40 gallons. Nitrates present but not high. Nitrites 0. Have sand which was cleaned completely. I occasionally stir to get out gas bubbles. Been doing daily water changes to counter it. There are 13 small fish in tank. No plants.

Have you ever had nitrites or no? Did you start with any seeded material from another tank? Did you put fish in from the beginning?

At 6 weeks you should be cycled by now or close; at least you should have 0 ammonia and nitrites should have either spiked and fallen or just about to fall. Before I can help further if you can let me know whether you ever had nitrites, what fish exactly are in the tank (types), and how high of an ammonia level is "high"?

Thanks for the advice. I had a well established 10 gallon that I used to partially fill the new tank (36gallon). Also placed the bio wheel in the tank for the first week. Was told this should satisfy since I included the 6 fish from the small tank during the transfer. Guess I was informed incorrectly. I thought it had cycled as the nitrites spiked, the water clouded and then nitrites dropped to 0 and nitrates climbed slightly. The only thing that remains is the ammonia. I have been doing water changes daily of about 40% to reduce the stress on the fish. I have 13 in the tank. I can place the bio wheel from the old tank back in the tank. Will floating it suffice. I'm not sure what the tank sock is. I appreciate the advice.

A couple of thoughts. You indicated you stirred up the sand bed. Those gas bubbles that you are releasing when you stir the bed will release ammonia into the water. Vacume the top to get rid of food particles and other detritus but don't stir it up or at least, don't go too deep.

You can temporarily suspend the ammonia by using a standard dechlorinator. It will bind the ammonia, or make it less harmful, while you continue your water changes.

If the Biowheel has been running a while and the other tank is healthy, then it can't hurt to add it to the new tank again. It mght help to temporarily add a similar filter to the 36 so the biowheel actually remains turning instead of just floating it. This will give a more "active" transfer than just floating.

The other thing you could do is take the proverbial hat in hand and see if your LFS will give you some gravel from one of their established tanks :) or if they use sponge filters like mine does, if they will squeeze one out into a plastic bag for you.

I have some ghost shrimp in the tank. Could that have an impact on the cycle process. Thanks for the advice. I hooked up the old filter to help. Will leave that for a few days. The other tank is vacant so that's not a problem. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ammonia is now dropping. Looks like running the established filter has helped. Odd thing though, ph is higher than expected. Running 7.4. Any thoughts on contributors?

Mike C said:
Ammonia is now dropping. Looks like running the established filter has helped. Odd thing though, ph is higher than expected. Running 7.4. Any thoughts on contributors?

My ph is the same. It may have something to do with water hardness.

Soft water is acidic and hard water is more alkaline I believe

My blue rams don't like it. Think it's stressing them out.

Back
Top Bottom