Need help with sand substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LuckyWanderer

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been trying to cycle a 5.5 gallon tank for close to 3 weeks now. Since day one I have had the sand that is currently in the tank go untouched due to cycling. I noticed today that there is some dark/grey sand just under the top layer. The original sand is a tan/white color. I'm not sure what this is but it's freaking me out! Please help!

A picture is worth a thousand words ;)

What's in the tank?
What has changed since you've started cycling?
How are you cycling?

Nothing is really in it at the moment. My cycling method is fishless, with fish food and I used stability.

Could it turn into something bad though? And do you know what it is? This is my first time with sand and I heard it can produce hydrogen sulfide? Also, is this a good sign for the cycling process? I've had 4ppm ammonia for about a week now and it hasn't budged.

"black" is not the sand itself but the accumulation of organics. This is normal and in fact wanted. Fish waste and other organic matter will settle on the substrate and work its way down into it. Bacteria then break down the organics into nutrients. Hope this helps understand better.

Yes, it's like gravel, it's just starting to collect in the sand like it would with gravel. That is basically your bb starting.

+1 to Angel. I see what you're talking about and what Angel said is all I can think of. As long as your parameters are progressing properly, don't sweat it, for now. It could be a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom