Need help with undergravel filter.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deadna

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently purchased a Topfin Large undergravel filter. I am getting an Aquaculture 20-60 gallon air pump to run it. My questions are what is the best way to install this in an already full tank? And can I use this later on in a saltwater tank? Any advise is appreciated.

Also, I realize it's dumb I got this after I have had my tank going about a month now, but later rather than never right?

Under gravel filter really are a thing of the past I have never used one so don't know how to set up or anything

I recently purchased a Topfin Large undergravel filter. I am getting an Aquaculture 20-60 gallon air pump to run it. My questions are what is the best way to install this in an already full tank? And can I use this later on in a saltwater tank? Any advise is appreciated.

Also, I realize it's dumb I got this after I have had my tank going about a month now, but later rather than never right?

UGFs generally end up being more trouble than they are worth. While they do perform their function very well, it will end up causing more problems than it's worth down the road imho.

Firstly, if you ever want to change your substrate when you have a UGF you are pretty boned because your entire bacterial colony lives on your gravel and you will restart the cycle.

Second, It's impossible to have sand with one if you decide you want sand down the road.

Third, It's nearly impossible to clean out without completely tearing down your tank. The layer of detritus that sits down there will cause nitrate issues down the road. This is the biggest issue in my mind.

Fourth, live plants are completely imconpatible with UGFs. Their roots will completely clog the filter.

As for using one in a salt water tank, it's a very bad idea. Mainly because of issue number 3.

I know that wasn't your question and i'm sorry for going off on a tangent but those are my thoughts on them.

As for installing one, the only way is to completely pull everything out of the tank including fish and removing the substrate. That's the only way to put one in.

So basically it's a complete waste of money and time? Guess I'm returning THAT purchase.

So basically it's a complete waste of money and time? Guess I'm returning THAT purchase.

Yeah, they are outdated like many things out there for aquariums. They used to be the best choice out there for many years and they do their job very well. But they come with problems.

I say return it and invest in a second hob or canister filter if you dont already have 2.

As previously stated, UG filters turned out to be more trouble than benefit. That's not to say they are useless in freshwater tanks, just a pain. (IMO ;) ) The thing to remember is to periodically stick a siphon hose down the lift tube and siphon your water for routine water changes from there so you get the layer of muck out of the tank as it will create an uncontrollable nitrate problem down the road if you don't. To counter this, some people used a powerhead type pump to counter this problem by pushing the water UP through the UG plate but that meant that you also needed a good outside filter as well to collect this debris which really negated the need for the filter at all. The next problem comes from things being pulled into your gravel bed. If too much detritus is collected in one area, the water flow through that area can get clogged creating a perfect situation for anaerobic bacteria to grow which can kill off the tank. Then there's the gravel types situation previously discussed. These are just some of the negatives of using a UG filter. Like I said, "a pain" lol
As for using them in Saltwater, I was in the hobby when the biggest advance in filtering was ridges to the UG filter plate. lol The greatest invention for filtering (IMO) has been the wet/dry filter. So while you can use a UG filter for saltwater, there are much, much, much better options available today than a UG filter. ( In fact, just today I threw away a UG filter plate that was still in a tank I had saltwater in before I put it into storage back in the 1980s ;) )

Hope this helps

The previous post was spot on. UG's in there time were great and under certain conditions are still useful. But, getting to the first part of your question, oh my installing a UG into a existing setup would be a huge mess and headache.

Back
Top Bottom