need i.d. for white object

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sahabo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, I have no idea what this is on my driftwood. There are two white objects that appeared suddenly. The driftwood is a new addition to my tank for about two and a half weeks...it came from a LSF. I also recently added live plants, java fern and moss.

The white things don't move and I didn't see them grow, and I have no idea how they got there.

Any thoughts?

Edit: I just saw a few on my sponge filter, too!

Attachments

• white thing.jpg
    white thing.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Are they kind of fluffy looking? New driftwood often gets a bacterial bloom in the beginning. Try syphoning them off.

well I managed to catch one up in my net and it kind of started to break apart a little as I did so. It easily came off the wood and was very light in the water. It definitely did not move at all. Not fluffy. When I got it out of the net to examine it, it was dark yellow/light brown. It was really soft and easy to smear. I continue to be mystified. So far I've counted 3 on the sponge filter and 3 on the driftwood (the largest one amidst a bunch of moss).

I don't think it's a clutch of eggs. Not from the description given above anyways.

Did it look like a tube when you took it out, or was it solid?

There are a number of insects that make cases like that in their larval stage, I'm guessing if is tube like it could be something of that sort. That would also make sense if you are only finding them in areas of flow.

no snails in my tank.

Well it seems to be solid and...gelatinous in consistency, nothing inside it I can see unless it's microscopic.

Well then I'm all out of guesses, sorry. hehe.

I wouldn't worry about it, probably one of the thousands of species of aquatic fungi or bacteria that hitchhiked in on your new plants.

:bowl::bowl::bowl::bowl:

LOL...It's FISH POOP!!!!!!!!!

:biglol::biglol::oops::oops:

And how, you might wonder, did I arrive at such a brilliant conclusion? Why, I watched it being pooped! Amazing!

But seriously, it's never been that much or that HUGE before! Granted, before I got the driftwood and live plants, it probably sank to the gravel and blended in...but I've never seen it on my sponge filter before. Haven't changed his diet at all. It's like he's been saving it up! LOL

There I was, fishing it out, dissecting it with a toothpick, wondering what in the world it was....sheesh!

Glad to hear that the mystery has been solved. Definately didn't look like that's what it would turn out to be from the pictures.

..I was gonna offer to analyse it for you. I work in a lab. I have all kinda fancy microscopes and stuff, but since you say it's fish poop, I'll pass on that.
:-?

Perhaps now would be a good time to add some peas to his diet. It's fun watching them attack peas and it helps to prevent constipation. Just blanch, remove skin, and cut up slightly if necessary, then feed.

I took some lobster meat and finely chopped it up...my neons went nuts with it ...like little pirhanas !

Ok, not funny anymore. There is way too much of this stuff being excreted for the amount I feed him. Plus it's a different color. Used to be small and the color of the pellets I feed him. Now it's white and much larger. Plus it looks like he's got finrot again. Sigh, so something is not right. I'm going to post in the unhealthy fish section.

Back
Top Bottom