Need ideas for centerpiece fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AFAIK Pearl Gouramis are fine as singles. Gouramis are grumpy with each other and some will kill all other Gouramis. Not all, but some do.

My male is gorgeous and eats like a pig.

So if I add a gourami and get 2 Bolivian Rams, I would end up with:
6 Harlequin Rasboras
2 Red Wag Platies
4 Peppered Cories
4 Sterbai Cories
2 Siamese Algae Eaters
2 Bolivian Rams
1 Gourami
2 Mystery Snails
2 Amano Shrimp

Is that too much for a 55 gal?

Would the added addition of 6 Guppies overload it?

I would pick one type of Cory and have 8 of them. They like their own species and you'll see much cooler behavior with a larger group IMHO

Learn what true SAE look like. Don't get Flying Fox or Chinese AE by mistake.

I like large shoals of small fish.

I have 21 Neons in my 55g.

I would up the Rasboras myself. Maybe skip the Platies ?

Just add fish slowly. Consider having a QT tank set up.

I would pick one type of Cory and have 8 of them. They like their own species and you'll see much cooler behavior with a larger group IMHO

Learn what true SAE look like. Don't get Flying Fox or Chinese AE by mistake.

I like large shoals of small fish.

I have 21 Neons in my 55g.

I would up the Rasboras myself. Maybe skip the Platies ?

Just add fish slowly. Consider having a QT tank set up.

Here comes the "I'm ignorant" question of the day.... what is a QT tank?

That is something I have not yet thought about.
Good lookin out.
You all are the best source of info.

I've always been partial to Bettas as center piece fish. So many nice varieties to choose from. I've found Gouramis to be a little aggressive

I've always been partial to Bettas as center piece fish. So many nice varieties to choose from. I've found Gouramis to be a little aggressive

Gouramis are more aggressive than Bettas?

In my personal experience, yes.

Well guess I will find out.
I have a Pearl Gourami on order.
Hope it works out.
Bettas are kinda out of the question though. I also just got 2 Angels. Im pretty sure if I put a betta in with them it would get ugly quick

I beg to differ about pearl gourami. For 2 years I have been keeping up to 5 pearls together in my 55 gallon tank. The secret for me is to have only one male. Currently I have one male and 2 females. They do get large, up to 4-5 inches but they are peaceful and spend a lot of their time hanging together. And they don't bother any other fish. Pearl and honey gourami are the only 2 kinds I would keep together. The others all will not get along.

If you have female platy, soon you will have hundreds! Aquatic rabbits!
Fairly sure they can reproduce at will, with or without males for a limited time.

Leave your display as is, and get something to eat platy, that's what I did. Even then, you'll have too many platy........

Fairly sure they can reproduce at will, with or without males for a limited time.

Leave your display as is, and get something to eat platy, that's what I did. Even then, you'll have too many platy........

Dont know how to tell the sex of Platy. Have no idea if one is female

The key is the gonopodium, males have it females don't. 100% fail safe method.
The anal fin of males is fused to form this, in females it looks like an ordinary fin.

Sooooooo true, I raised platys fry in tank before I knew what I was doing raising fish. Lol

Back
Top Bottom