Need info on african butterfly fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TenaciousTriggerFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
30 gallon tank
- 1x 12" pleco "ZUES!"
- 2x 1" kissing gurami
- 1x. 3" kissing gurami
- 2x. 1" threesome gurami
- 1x 3" blue spot gurami
- 1x. 3" pleco "smallz"

All four little grams may be being moved to a different tank also the pleco will for sure be moved out soon

I was wondering if I could get an African butterfly fish in here if I need to move all four small grams out I can if they can stay that's fine also please let me know thank u

By the way tank is kept at about 79-81 water is good!

Fishy Aston said:
I woudnt see why not. :)

What are your thoughts on the six guramis? The littles have been in the tank a couple months and the larger on Many months more than the little ones and they get a little roudy be themselves :/ so u think I should take all the blue spot or all the pinks or maybe just the four little ones or maybe just the bigger ones and one of each littles i don't know becuase I am afraid they will pick on the butterfly...( on a side note are African butterfly fish aggressive at all? My lfs says not but I'm not sure)

TenaciousTriggerFish said:
Are they aggressive enough to hold thier own to six guramis

No. And Gouramis like territory at the top of the tank, like their Betta cousins. So another top swimmer would be picked on.

NOT a good idea IMHO. You are way overstocked on Gouramis anyway. Dont add more fish till you move you others. Esp. the big Pleco.

They need a lot of surface area. Think a 20 Long or a 40g breeder tank. They aren't the easiest fish to keep healthy long term unless you keep up your tank well.

From web:
The Butterfly Fish, also known as the African Butterfly Fish, is generally a good community fish. They can be a bit intolerant of other surface swimming fish however, and have been known to nip fins. They are a predator and will eat small fish. But on a positive note, they also become quite tame and will eat food from your fingers.

The Butterfly Fish like a loosely planted shallow aquarium best, about 6 to 8 inches (15-20 cm) deep. One that has more length and width to it rather than depth gives them a large surface area. They do like some floating plant cover to lurk under as well. Be sure you have a good cover on the aquarium as this fish is an excellent jumper.

Google for more info.

Stop shopping till you take care of the fish you have. Kissing Gs get Big ! And aggressive.

Gouramis typically do NOT like each other. You need a 100-150g tank as it is with 2 Common Plecos.

Stop buying on looks and research before you buy. Most stores will sell you anything. Learn about your fish. They CAN live a long time with the right care.

30 gallon tank
- 1x 12" pleco "ZUES!"
- 2x 1" kissing gurami
- 1x. 3" kissing gurami
- 1x 3" blue spot gurami
- 1x. 3" pleco "smallz"

All four little grams may be being moved to a different tank also the pleco will for sure be moved out soon

I was wondering if I could get an African butterfly fish in here if I need to move all four small grams out I can if they can stay that's fine also please let me know thank u

Kissing Gouramis get big and nasty
Threesome ??? 3 Spot maybe ? Learn your fish names, common and Latin.

"The Three spot gourami is a hardy fish.[5] This species can be housed with a variety of tank mates that are of similar size and temperament. While males can be territorial with each other, they become timid around other, more aggressive fish.[5] The ideal tank set-up would be an aquarium of a minimum of 150 litres (33 imp gal; 40 US gal) and have plenty of live plants as well as rocks and driftwood for use as hiding places.

Male gouramis are known to be very aggressive; they may also be fin nippers and generally may bother other fish in the tank. They will often show aggression toward species with long, flowing fins like male guppies, goldfish and bettas, because they display a long tail and bright colors, presenting competition for impressing a female gourami. Female gouramis sometimes bother other fish but usually keep to themselves. "

Blue, Opaline, 3 Spot are ALL the same species, just different colors.

So most stores sell Males. Males will fight.

Blue Gourami ( learn to spell Gourami ) see above. Same info.

A 30g is too small for a Kissing G.
Kissers get 8-12" and will suck slime off other fish. They are Bullies !!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kissing_gourami#section_3

The more you learn the happier your fish will be :)

Coursair said:
Kissing Gouramis get big and nasty
Threesome ??? 3 Spot maybe ? Learn your fish names, common and Latin.

"The Three spot gourami is a hardy fish.[5] This species can be housed with a variety of tank mates that are of similar size and temperament. While males can be territorial with each other, they become timid around other, more aggressive fish.[5] The ideal tank set-up would be an aquarium of a minimum of 150 litres (33 imp gal; 40 US gal) and have plenty of live plants as well as rocks and driftwood for use as hiding places.

Male gouramis are known to be very aggressive; they may also be fin nippers and generally may bother other fish in the tank. They will often show aggression toward species with long, flowing fins like male guppies, goldfish and bettas, because they display a long tail and bright colors, presenting competition for impressing a female gourami. Female gouramis sometimes bother other fish but usually keep to themselves. "

Blue, Opaline, 3 Spot are ALL the same species, just different colors.

So most stores sell Males. Males will fight.

Blue Gourami ( learn to spell Gourami ) see above. Same info.

A 30g is too small for a Kissing G.
Kissers get 8-12" and will suck slime off other fish. They are Bullies !!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kissing_gourami#section_3

The more you learn the happier your fish will be :)

What if all gouramis were gone except two small blue spot gouramis?? Will tank be appropriate then??

What if all gouramis were gone except two small blue spot gouramis?? Will tank be appropriate then??

No, 2 should be in a 55g AFAIK. Even a pair can fight. I had a lot of customers return Gouramis for fighting. They are cousins to Bettas. Blue Gouramis ( never heard them called Blue Spot) have same info as 3 Spot. Big planted tanks. With medium sized peaceful fish. And watch that the Gourami doesn't bully them or get bullied.

The info I quoted said a 40g for one with other fish NOT other Gouramis.

As babies, it will work, but large fish stunt and die sooner if not raised in proper sized tanks.

Buy fish that AS ADULTS can live well in a 30g.

My biggest tank is a 10g so a 30g is a great size to me.

TenaciousTriggerFish[/URL] said:

Your Blue Gs will get around 6". That's a big fish :) Not huge but big. Here is another informative link. Note they like Live Plants :)

[url=http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/profiles/blue-gourami/]Blue Gourami (Trichopodus trichopterus) Profile

Google is your friend, read more than one site. Compare the info. If they all say Semi Aggressive to Aggressive, needs live plants and big tank, then perhaps that is what they need to thrive.

Found this description under a vid of a 75g planted tank
"This is my 5 yr old spotted gourami( blue morph).The first part of this video was taken during the winter break. He is the dominant male in group of 5 made of 3 females( gold morph) another male ( gold morph) and himself. He has lived in 20 gallon , a 29g and finally the 75g. He has also killed or indirectly killed a number of fish over the yrs. He is the main reason why i got a bigger tanks! He has lead to the deaths of female spotted gourami ( gold morph), kissing gourami, a few dwarf gouramis, a female betta and many many snails. Thankfully he has calmed down in his newest home, but is co-dominant with the firemouth cichlid."

Coursair is right.. And shame on the people who say "everything is fine" when they don't actually know..

Good advice, Coursair. Thanks for caring, knowing and being informative.

I have never had any get bigger then three inch though

Just because your fish haven't gotten bigger isn't a factor, it's a poor reflection on you they've been stunted. It means they aren't getting ample space or food.

I don't know how long you've had them, and perhaps they aren't actually stunted. Just saying if they are, it isn't good.

MABJ said:
Just because your fish haven't gotten bigger isn't a factor, it's a poor reflection on you they've been stunted. It means they aren't getting ample space or food.

I don't know how long you've had them, and perhaps they aren't actually stunted. Just saying if they are, it isn't good.

Off gouramis and back to the African butterfly fish would it be ok in a 20 gallon with only a 3" pleco and a little black tetre?

Off gouramis and back to the African butterfly fish would it be ok in a 20 gallon with only a 3" pleco and a little black tetre?

Tetras need schools or they can get nippy or shy.
What kind of Pleco ? A Common needs a new home now !! Much easier to place a baby than a 12" monster.

I would think a 40g would be best, I mentioned a 20 Long ( not high ) as a barely minimum. You want a long tank, more surface area.

30 gallon tank
- 1x 12" pleco "ZUES!"
- 2x 1" kissing gurami
- 1x. 3" kissing gurami
- 1x 3" blue spot gurami
- 1x. 3" pleco "smallz"

I agree with Coursair. Many of those fish don't belong in a 30g, let alone together.

Not sure what a 'smallz' pleco is, but if it's a common then no.

The 12" pleco is a no also, and kissing gouramis get a bit big for a 30g.

I'm not an expert on gourami stocking and how they do with one another so I'll leave that part alone.

Coursair said:
Tetras need schools or they can get nippy or shy.
What kind of Pleco ? A Common needs a new home now !! Much easier to place a baby than a 12" monster.

I would think a 40g would be best, I mentioned a 20 Long ( not high ) as a barely minimum. You want a long tank, more surface area.

It's a 24" x 12" tank

Little black tetra? Until you tell us what it is, all I have to assume is it will be a black skirt tetra, which are nippy, especially if not kept in schools.

What kind of pleco? Why keep one that will outgrow and poison the tank..

EDIT** I didn't see others' responses before I posted, so I didn't mean to repeat others advice.

MABJ said:
Little black tetra? Until you tell us what it is, all I have to assume is it will be a black skirt tetra, which are nippy, especially if not kept in schools.

What kind of pleco? Why keep one that will outgrow and poison the tank..

EDIT** I didn't see others' responses before I posted, so I didn't mean to repeat others advice.

Poison
!?!?!?!!!!!??

Back
Top Bottom