Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-17-2004, 02:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Need info on lepord spotted danos

I saw some great danos (danios?) and was told they were lepord (leapord?) spotted. They had longer fins and pale colloring. What is it with me and long fins? sighBut before I get into trouble by getting a fish that isn't compatable.... I have 1 dwarf neon gourami, 1 female adult sword, 3 1/2" fry swords, 8 neons and 3 2" plecos. I may also add the opaline gourami to this 29gal.
What do I need to look out for? What are their special needs? Any weird behaviour? (Like swords who like to jump out? Lost 3 before I figured that out!)

Old 04-17-2004, 02:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Endgame319
Nope, their just like regular danios, just prettier :P

Old 04-17-2004, 03:02 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

But I never really considered danios before. I have no knowledge of this fish! eek, and I just know that I am going to covince the hubby to go get 6 or so at the store! I think I should know more than just that I like how they look... right? 8O
Are there any compatability issues?
Do they do well in pretty hard water? I am on a well, not the city water so my water is different than what the store uses.
OK I might be acting a little anal retentive... but I have had other ignorance sad stories before. I just can't have a sad story for my birthday... ya know? The big 30, already a little depressed (since here in Alaska it is actually snowing right now! At least it isn't sticking, melting right away. sigh) and was hoping a few new fish would lift my spirits. Can you imagine a bad-ness happening on top of all of that? 8O
Old 04-17-2004, 03:24 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
There are several types of danios: some natural, some developed by selective breeding. Gold and blue danios were produced through selective breeding, leopards are true, as are giant danios. It sounds like you're looking at giant danios... these are larger, about 2-3 inches. I've never seen these with leopard spots... The leopard-spotted danios are usually smaller, like the zebra danios.

Not sure if that helps, but you might want to check on these fish online to see which ones you saw in the store.

Danios are very hardy fish, so I wouldn't worry too much about their needs, as long as your water is fresh. They tend to like neutral water with moderate hardness, but do fine in soft and harder water.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:18 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have some LF leopard danios in my tank. Like madasafish said, they are very hardy. They are also very active. I doubt they will be bothered by any other fish since they swim so fast. The females are big and plump and the males are slimmer and more golden. They breed all the time in my tank but no fry have survived.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com