Need Input on Stocking 40 Gallon Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Manix

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank dimensions are about 18" high, 38" length, and 16" width. It is lighted with 78 watts T5HO.

I have two filters running AquaClear 70 and Penguin 330.

Meanwhile I am currently waiting for my plants to arrive and will be planting them this Saturday.

• Red Rubin Sword
  • Narrow Leaf Green Temple
  • Bronze Cryptocoryne Wenditii
  • Green Cryptocoryne Wenditii
  • Nesaea Crassicaulis
  • Lace Java Fern
  • Glossostigma Elatinoides

I've heard the inch per gallon rule isn't the greatest to follow. This is where I need some experienced opinion. I'm planning to stock my tank with:

• x5 Zebra Danios
  • x11 Harlequin Rasboras or Rummynose Tetras. (undecided but I want tight schooling fish.)
  • x2 Pearl Gourami (hoping male & female Pearl Gourami's will encourage Rasbora's or Rummy's to school more.) Any other Gourami's suggestions are welcome.
  • x5 Sterbai Cory's
  • x5 Kuhli Loaches
With two filters running and semi-heavily planted aquarium will this setup work? Will I have room to add a couple more fishes? I will be doing weekly 15%-20% water changes.

personally, I change 50% of my water weekly. I don't really know much about gouramis, I never really liked them when I had them, and the few I had kind of 'waisted' away. Maybe it was parasites or something IDK. You will have to build up the schools slowely, I know they say with a fishless cycle you can stock more at once, but I think real fish waist provides the most complete bacterial environment, so starting off with a fishless cycle is fine, but still stock carefully. I would start the stock with the zebra danios, those guys live through everything!

I would probably bring your schooling fish up to 6 each school. Just remember, the higher the bioload the more maintenance you will have to preform, and will have to keep a much closer watch on the water parameters.

Personally I would have some oto's or a bristlenose pleco in the mix somewhere, with a planted tank, it is always nice to have some good algae eaters.

I think your stocking sounds great. The only thing I would do differently is to up your danio school to at least 6 a piece. I have rummies and once I had one die, so I just had 5, and they did NOT school properly and were very stressed out until I added another one to bring their school back up to 6.
The corys are fine in a group of 5 since they are not tight schoolers, but 6 would be better to watch. The kuhlis are fine in a group of 5.
I think pearls would do well in your set-up since they are peaceful. Honey gouramis are another peaceful option.
I agree that a trio of otos would be good in there too.

In regards to algae. That is something I didn't put into consideration yet.

I'm now thinking of Siamese Algae Eaters, but my local LFS's don't have the true SAE's. So I may have to special order them. Another route I was thinking of is Red Cherry Shrimps. But I fear Rasbora's and Gourami's eating them.

Pleco's I believe will destroy my plants because I have very fine sand substrate. I was actually thinking of getting Gold Nugget Pleco but I want to be safe than sorry.

3 SAE sound good? Or you guys have any suggestions on specific algae eater?

In regards to algae. That is something I didn't put into consideration yet.

I'm now thinking of Siamese Algae Eaters, but my local LFS's don't have the true SAE's. So I may have to special order them. Another route I was thinking of is Red Cherry Shrimps. But I fear Rasbora's and Gourami's eating them.

Pleco's I believe will destroy my plants because I have very fine sand substrate. I was actually thinking of getting Gold Nugget Pleco but I want to be safe than sorry.

3 SAE sound good? Or you guys have any suggestions on specific algae eater?
Rcs are a bad idea. They are small and will get slowly picked off. It can work to have them in with fish if you start with a big colony in a very well-planted tank, but even then I do not advize it.
Sae are probably ok. I have never kept them, so not sure. My bnp never bothered my plants, but I have heard that some pleco species should be kept with tough leaved plants. But, I haven't really heard of people haveing those issues with bnp, just with common plecos.
Other options would be pitbull plecos or otos. Both are peaceful and should be kept in a trio. I recommend pitbulls personally because I think they are a bit hardier.

Bristlenose plecos will not hurt plants. I have kept bristlenose plecs and otos in all the planted tanks I've ever done. Some like Clown plecos will eat plants.

Back
Top Bottom