need nitrate advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

totalnewb

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I am as my namesake suggests.

29G planted mixed tank. stocked to 90%, 2 filters + sponge for colonization for quarantine. Filtration and oxygenation should be more than adequate.

10G 5adf + 2 otos. planted. Tetra whisper pf10.

The bigger tank nitrates are getting out of control. Were stable since cycled (months). Lowered lighting duration to try and control algae. Someone suggested that this might be contributing to gradual (weeks) elevation of nitrate levels... (?) weekly 50% wc

The smaller tank was stable, then had a ph issue where it fell below 6.4. the next day, nitrates read zero. 40% wc at least every two days depending on daily readings since nitrates gone.

RO water with Kent rite, prime, sometimes a tiny bit of alkaline buffer.

Please help me to understand... Are not nitrates really just BB "pee", indicative of their presence?

How does "pee" disappear overnight even if the BB die?

How do I get the bigger tank back under control as it's levels are skyrocketing with a stable ph? If I vac too much, don't I risk the BB?

I'm confused an am worried that my ignorance will, nevermind inconvenience and stress me, but potentially hurt my "cat TV"...

Pls help.

Are you adding any fertilizers to the 29 gallon? You really should have nitrates, especially with plants because that's what they eat.

Very strange. The only reason nitrAtes should increase at a fast pace is if you're heavily stocked or are uncycled...what exactly is your stocking?

Back
Top Bottom