Need plant ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stacey W.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well my tank is over run by water sprite. I am doing a major trim today. I have moderate lighting and I need a very tall growing plant for the back right of my tank and a short plant for the right front here's a picture to help with any suggestions. I have a java fern in the middle back which I have been babing and it still won't grow correctly. I bought it as a mat and the mat ruined the rhizome and it's going to plant heaven today.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1439731283503.jpg
    1439731283503.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 68
Id gowith ludwigia sp red for the back and a carpet of some kind in front

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Id gowith ludwigia sp red for the back and a carpet of some kind in front

I still learning and I am afraid of carpeting plants. Will a carpeting plant grow ok be ok with a gravel substrate? Also with a tall tank will the lighting be sufficient?

A good tall plant is an Amazon Sword. I love mine and it grows without special lighting, I'm just using some moderate LED's. Only thing you would need for it are root tabs because they are primarily root feeders. For the front right I would say a crypt, I think it would do fine but they need root tabs because they are root feeders too. Maybe some dwarf sag or some jungle val in the back would work too in place of the java fern.

I still learning and I am afraid of carpeting plants. Will a carpeting plant grow ok be ok with a gravel substrate? Also with a tall tank will the lighting be sufficient?

Forgot you had a tall tank, maybe go with Nils reccomendation of crypts in the front

A good tall plant is an Amazon Sword. I love mine and it grows without special lighting, I'm just using some moderate LED's. Only thing you would need for it are root tabs because they are primarily root feeders. For the front right I would say a crypt, I think it would do fine but they need root tabs because they are root feeders too. Maybe some dwarf sag or some jungle val in the back would work too in place of the java fern.

Will dwarf sag grow tall enough?

Dwarf sag is more of a foreground plant if you keep it trimmed.

Good recommendations on the Val's and Amazon swords. Both easy to please and get quite tall.

Caleb

If I dose with excel will it kill the jungle vals?

No, I wouldn't thin so. My dwarf sag grows pretty tall in my 5.5 but then again it isn't a very high tank. I don't trim it. Grows great and shoots out runners all the time.

Watched a YouTube video (don't judge me, lol) where he used excel to kill BBA and killed off all his jungle val. Maybe he overdosed?

Ok 3 bushels of vals planted and a crypt parva. So what do I do with the runners on the val. Do i plant them or not.

Any suggestions anyone?

Any suggestions anyone?

The runners will plant themselves. Just let them be and you'll have a nice stand of them in no time. An awesome foreground plant for that tank would be Dwarf Sag. Really and awesome plant that will grow fast and fill that foreground space. It will be more than fine in your lighting.

The runners will plant themselves. Just let them be and you'll have a nice stand of them in no time. An awesome foreground plant for that tank would be Dwarf Sag. Really and awesome plant that will grow fast and fill that foreground space. It will be more than fine in your lighting.

Thanks for the reply DC! No dwarf sag at the lfs today:(. But the really crypt parva was in very good condition. Wasn't potted and only had to trim 3 leaves before planting.

Back
Top Bottom