Need salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I had mollies (for several years) they often occupied all levels of the tank. I never added salt; however, I've been told that they will only breed in brackish water.

I have had several Dalmation Mollies. they will breed just fine. no salt required. mine also swim all over the place! Hanging at the bottom would not be normal. I have found that certain males prefer certain females. Once they find one they like you can have lots of babies! every 30 days or so you can get a new batch! I have noticed that Molly babies like the top of the tank where platy babies like the bottom of the tank. so... if you get a pregnant molly you might want to put something that will float at the top of your tank for some nice hiding spots.

Ok I think it just because their new. As soon as lights went out the faster they went to the top. One last question will mollies and an angelfish be ok together. Thanks guys

Livebearers and Salt

Hey guys was wondering If Dalmatian mollies really need aquarium salt?

Hello The...

Being a keeper of Livebearing fish, I would say Mollies are at the top of this list of fish that could use a little standard aquarium salt in their water. Mollies are essentially brackish water fish and a teaspoon in every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water would be good. They get by without it, but it's my belief they'll do much better with it. This amount is really small, but effective and won't hurt your other fish or aquatic plants. I've used it for about 10 years in my tanks.

B

You do not need to add any salt. You can if you want to, sure! But they will be fine without it too. They will breed just fine without it as well. They are pretty much like bunnies! Put a boy and girl together and you will get babies! I really like my mollies. They will follow you around and come up when you feed them. They are great fish and easy to care for

They may do OK without a little salt but they will do better with it. It's just a condition found in the natural environment they evolved in for millions of years. There are many taxonomic studies that support this. OS.

Yes I would agree. They may be happier with it, but it thought they question asked was do they NEED it and in my experience they are fine without it

Yes you have a good point. They don't need it to survive. I got away from the OP's original point. But I'm old so I let my mind wander. LOL. Take care. OS.

I was always told that mollies needed a little salt as it greatly improves their immune system? I might be wrong.

Is it the salt that will improve conditions for them or having a high kh / gh (I assume it would be high in nature).?

I have soft, fresh water and they seem to do ok. I get a few babies here and there (more since I added a floating plant). My mollies are mostly near surface swimmers. I have a small angelfish with them - so far good but the angelfish is small.

Delapool - you may not have many babies because of your angel in there. I heard they were baby eaters! :)

Delapool - you may not have many babies because of your angel in there. I heard they were baby eaters! :)

I should of said the angelfish is new but yes expecting they will/could disappear faster! Might have to take the mothers out. I have a massive floating plant but watching the angelfish swimming around I think you will be dead right.

Back
Top Bottom