Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Need some advice.

I have a 10g tank established with 3 cory catfish and 3 white skirt tetras. They have been living healthy in the tank for nearly 6 months now. My wife decided to surprise me with 2 tiger barbs tonight to add to it. First of all, I know the tiger barbs should be in a group of at least 4, I can fix that later. The main issue is, she realized on the way home with the fish that there was water leaking from the fish bag. By the time she got home, the bag was deflated and had very little water in it, the rest having leaked out on the car seat. So she just emptied them directly into my tank. This concerns me for 2 reasons. The first, she got them from Walmart and who knows what crud was in the water that went in with the fish, or on the fish themselves. Second, one of the barbs is now swimming completely facing downward, face towards the bottom, tail towards the top. My quarantine tank is not running or cycled so I have no way to remove and quarantine them. Just unsure what I should do at the moment, Any advice will be appreciated.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
Look It Up

You should try to return them unfortunately. Tiger Barbs can be very aggressive and a 10 gal tank is way too small for them.

librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

As you hinted they came from Walmart(Not good) I would remove them ASAP and keep a close eye on the tank.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Unfortunately I cant remove them until the AM as I have no place to quarantine them. I did a 50% water change when I found out she dumped the Walmart water in with my fish. I'll do another water change tomorrow after I get them out of the tank. I just hope she has the receipt!
Old 01-20-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here's a vid clip of my little 10g with the barbs in it. My Tetra's dont like them at all. They keep huddled together most of the time in the corner now.

http://youtu.be/_hd8-YsbwlM
Old 01-21-2012, 12:26 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

You can place them onto your QT even though it is not cycled. It will not harm them over night.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:31 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two View Post
You can place them onto your QT even though it is not cycled. It will not harm them over night.
Looks like we are going to keep them. I have a 20G that was a gold fish tank. Only has one shubunkin goldfish left in it that I am going to give to a friend that has a larger tank. The barbs will be a nice start to a larger tank. I just need to buy 2 or 3 more.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com