Need some "expert" advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hsherman1986

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I just got six GBR's from an lfs closeby. I think me and my fiancee have decided they are ALL males. So now it is time to find some girls. I am looking at getting some EITHER from the same guy Lonewolfblue did, OR from this guy http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwapisto&1152496892

my question is, is there any problems in this "different" breed that I will have to lookout for? They are supposed to be "longfinned". The pictures look good to me, but I do not want to decide to order from him and end up with bad fish, as I am kinda naive when it comes to this fish.

any advice is greatly appreciated.

i had those long fin gbrs. i think they are fine. they just have longer fins. just like u can breed fish to have different fins.
i am no expert but i would think its the same.
you can breed to different kinds of the same fish. not a problem.
i doubt there will be a problem here

Hi Do you have pics of the rams you bought? The best way 95% sure way to sex them is to look at the spot on their sides. The males will not have any blue spangels in the spot females will. like edging into the border and in the spot. Another way is that females will have a pinkish to rosy abdomine males 2nd and 3rd dorsal spine are considerably longer. As for getting the long fin GBRs they will breed with yours also Gold GBRs will also. The only ones I would boycott are the ballon GBRs

Sincerely Curtis
Male
img_667921_0_025fd673b9d8a464661a263aa646ad60.jpg

female
img_667921_1_e29c5c5fcc1e77fbcc8b8620c3161a71.jpg

img_667921_2_e60cbdc7edca2de2392b0d6814e6878e.jpg

PR
img_667921_3_ccd3e0a0f3c259b506a71bab48034e7c.jpg

unfortunatly, no I do not have pics (don't have a digi camera). See, all but one have the blue spangles, but all of them have the longer pectoral and anal fins. None have rosy tummies, and most have the longer 2nd and 2rd spike in the dorsal fin.

I just wanted to make sure that these weren't something strange and deformed that I would have problems with. I am still fairly new to the hobby, and still learning a lot.

Oh, and a thanks to Lonewolfblue for all of your advice!!

Once I hear back and find out who has the better price, and who will send me all females, I will order them :D

well im not sure if they are deformed or not.
this is my story on the long finned.
i went to the pet store bought 2. perfect week later both were dead. went to the pet store to get something and there were most of all they had when i bought these ones. and they were all dead looking or really bad looking.
i think the same as i posted i just think these may have not been up to quality either

About the only thing I kind of disagree on is the thing where the females have the blue spangle in the black spot. That is not always true. I do have 2 males where there are blue specs in the black area. And some of my females are the opposite, no blue specs. To me, the easiest way to sex them is the pink tummy and the pectoral fins don't quite reach the anal fin. The males are always past the beginning of the anal fin. Currently I now have 7 pairs of GBR's.

yea, and all but one, possibly two, the pectoral fins go past the anal fin. But, their fins are still torn up, and probably not as long as they should be, so i have no idea.

I got the shipping quote back from the guy that LWB bought from, and it will only cost $10 more to get them from him then what I paid for at the lfs. I will accept that for fish that are most likely in better condition, and are exactly what I want.

That is past the start of the anal fin, correct? They usually don't go past the whole anal fin, just past the start of it. You'll get some good fish from this guy. Just let him know I recommended him. And if you don't know, my name is Jeff, just say Jeff recommended him, and he'll know. :)

hsherman1986 said:
I got the shipping quote back from the guy that LWB bought from, and it will only cost $10 more to get them from him then what I paid for at the lfs. I will accept that for fish that are most likely in better condition, and are exactly what I want.

If you don't mind my asking, where are you getting them from?

Yes, past the start. I wasn't sure if it was suposed to go past the anal fin, since their fins are torn up lol.

I will pass that on to him. He says he has them all the time, which is nice. I dont feel pressured to buy them tonight :D He is giving me a really good shipping rate too, and i get to save 15% plus $10 as I won't be available for them to be here by 10:30. By 3 works better for me :D

from what I know people breed long finned fish with short finned all the time, look at the betta, its been breed with all kinds of different varietys of its species

The shipping was like me too. It may sound spendy, but at 15.99/fish at the lfs here plus tax, would have been over 160.00 for the fish. But through this guy, I got 10 GBR's, the sexes that I wanted, for about 92.00. 32.00 for the fish and about 60.00 for Priority Overnight by 10:30am. :)

yea. mine is $22 for the fish and $40 for the shipping. LFS is $9.99 per fish, or 3 for $25. It will be a few bucks more, but worth it IMO to get exactly what I want.

I am in a debate though, because the other guy (the one with the longfinned) offered me 12 for $70 shiping included, or 6 for $46 shipping included.

Back
Top Bottom