Need some fish for the bottom half of my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarviek

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have a 24" tall 20g tank.

I have some harlequin rasboras that hang around 8-10 down, and am looking for something that swim in the lower half. Would a beta be a good fit? The last fish I purchased hung around he top few inches, and I just don't like the look.

I would prefer very small fish, but thought the decorative look of a beta would be interesting.

One last bit of info is, I will have red cherry shrimp on the very bottom, but have a dedicated tank for breeding, so am OK with the baby shrimp being eaten.

Thanks for your advice.

I agree with corsair, bettas are definitely top water fish. Cory cats are the way to go for bottom dwellers

I have Harlequin Rasboras too, then toward the bottom, the top of the bottom 1/3 are my Neons and Glowlight Tetras. They hang out together at times, and then school separately too very pretty color. I love they way they look together.

Also have a very pretty Dragonscale female Betta. She is Pearl white body with red and a little blue, she is gorgeous. She hangs around the top but goes all over and scurries around, acts bossy but gets along with the rest. She has her favorite corner and doesn't like the other fish, the guppies mainly, in her
space. lol

Not all Betta's (male or female) personality can be in a community tank, depends on conditions, crowding, plant cover and personality.

Cories in the bottom too. Amano shrimp any where they want to go, and a Bamboo shrimp, lots of plants.

Thanks for steering me away from a beta. I like how they look, but don't want more top water fish.

For the very bottom,I am doing RCS, and I forgot to say I have some otto's, so I don't think Cory cats will work. I also forgot to say that it is very heavily planted.

I think neon's are the winner. What is the minimum school size recommended?

Get a rainbow shark it grows to be around 4 inches first few weeks its kinda teretorial and chases the other fish but after that it swims around the bottom it likes to hang around in the plants and under the rocks

Jarviek said:
Thanks for steering me away from a beta. I like how they look, but don't want more top water fish.

For the very bottom,I am doing RCS, and I forgot to say I have some otto's, so I don't think Cory cats will work. I also forgot to say that it is very heavily planted.

I think neon's are the winner. What is the minimum school size recommended?

For neons, you'll want a school of at least 5, preferably 8 or more. Glad you scrapped the betta idea, could have been disastrous. I didn't catch parameters, but as long as you're water is around ph 7-7.8 with hardness of 6-12dh you should have no problem keeping them. Good luck, keep us updated and share some pics!

Kuhli loaches luv planted tanks but i could see them goin after rcs though. Although considered a peaceful loach, kuhli's will pack hunt for food like wolves. I've had them kill 4" crayfish.
Sorry didnt mean to hijack ur thread ;)

6-8 Neons

Check out Dwarf Cories, they all like planted tanks, but little groups of them should be kept as they prefer company.

C. habrosus and C. pygmaeus. are more low to mid range and are active all over in the tank, not just the bottom.

I am not sure why you said you can't have them?

Last edited:
I am staying away from loaches, as the footprint of my tank is the same as a 10g, and don't think that is enough space for a good group.

Maybe I will research copies again, but I thought they spent most of their time at the bottom, and I was reserving that space for my shrimp.

8 tetras would look quite nice.

Jarviek said:
I am staying away from loaches, as the footprint of my tank is the same as a 10g, and don't think that is enough space for a good group.

Maybe I will research copies again, but I thought they spent most of their time at the bottom, and I was reserving that space for my shrimp.

8 tetras would look quite nice.

My Dwarf Cories are fine with my Shrimp. I have about 30 RCS and 5 Cory. habrosus in a 10g

My kuhlis spend more time running up and down the glass than they do swimming back and forth.

Back
Top Bottom