Need Some Good Advice -- Stocking level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolffish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have just changed my mind about what fish i want. I just feed my fish and i found my cory cat dead at the bottem. May he rest in peace. I also just got live plants and i put them in my new tank a few minutes ago. Any way i am just going to stick with neons, black tetras, white clouds, 1 betta, and cory cats. So how many fish can i get of each. I was hopeing to end up with a tank with 1 betta, 6 cory cats, 10 neon tetras, 6 black tetras, and 7 white clouds. Do you think that is alright according to the one inch fish per gallon rule?

If you're talking about your 10 gallon tank, that's way too many fish. Remember 1" of fish per 1 gallon of water. You also need to figure out why your cory cat died before buying new fish.

If you're talking about your 10 gallon tank, that's way too many fish. Remember 1" of fish per 1 gallon of water. You also need to figure out why your cory cat died before buying new fish.

I agree that it's too many fish.

This "rule" needs to die. Worst thing to "help" the hobby in decades IMO.

For a 10G, you could go with the betta and neons or betta with cories (pygmy only). I'm not sure what you mean by "black tetra". White clouds are cooler water fish.

Oh sorry i dident tell you about the 29 gallon i am setting up now. I already have 5 neons, 1 black tetra, 1 betta, and 3 white clouds in my 10 gallon. And i am trying to find the cause of death now. In the store they were called black tetras.

i think this is a 30g that was a christmas gift if i remember the thread correctly... anyways, that being said, I wish i could kill the "rule" myself. It has been brought up here over the last day so many times, and is one of the worst guidelines ever created

Oh yeah sorry i said 30 gal but i got confused and so yeah it is accually a 29 gallon sorry.
And fine then i dont care about the rule i just want to know if you think it is an okay amount for a fish tank that large.

OK... if it's a 29G tank, your list minus the WCMMs (different temp needs) works. Depending on what black tetra are of course. How long has the tank been set up? How was it cycled? You need to stock gradually regardless of list. ;)

Yes i know last time i just threw all the fish in and it totaly back fired on me. Now i know i have to stock slowly. and as far as i know they all have the same needs. Even the balck tetra. I havent put the fish in but i put the live plants in already and I have gravel for the bottem. I have been cycleing it for 4 days now and i have no fish in it yet.

What they are trying to tell you, is that the cloud minnows are colder water fish, like goldfish. They will not thrive in the warmer temps required for the other fish.

a betta with other colorful fish may be a major no-no. a betta may try to attack what it thinks is another betta, on the flip side, the nippy tetras may pick on the usually long finned and slow swimmer betta fish... so just be careful and carefully watch them....
*EDIT* sorry i didnt realize you already had them together haha

I have a female betta with short fins and none of the fish pick on her.
And they are cold water fish? Because I have been reading that they can survive in 70 degree water.
And thanks for the web site.

A betta will not do all that well in 70*... she'll be OK, but they prefer closer to 80*.

Ditto evilameba-- survive does not mean thrive.

+1. You will have a ton of problems with the betta especially if the water is too cold. Even though they are hardy fish, they are not that hardy lol.

Oh okay i will try to figure someting out for the betta. Do any of you know if any fish will go well with a betta and have that temprature range?

Tetras and female bettas are OK since they both do pretty well at 75-78*. Minnows won't do so well. (Don't go with a male betta-- he will be miserable and finless in short order.)

If you have a large enough tank for the betta, you can usually put some dwarf corys in there. Some bettas have bad attitudes, some don't. It just depends on the betta you choose.

Is this going to be the 29G tank for the betta? If it is, and you get a female, you can get more than one, and have yourself a little sorority tank.

Oh no i was just wondering because if i get a 10 gallon for only the betta then i might want to put another fish in it.

Back
Top Bottom