Need some help here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aural

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all

let me lay out my worries to you guys

1 . i have had 3 casualties in the last week in my cichlid tank , a convict , 2 severums

2 . 2 casualties in my general tank, 1 cherry barb and a juvenile dubosi cichlid

My convict i believe had bloat , and did not eat for a week and eventually died ,i tried a few medicines ,it did not help him,

My severums got the white spots which was treated , i also realised that the temp in the city had dropped so i raised the temp in my cichlid tank , the spots just continued and i lost both of them

The cherry barb looked like she lost balance and bloated up and i lost her too

My treasured dubosi lost a fin ,and could not swim ,i separated him and he was gone the next day

well you can say that i have had a bad week so far , i have enjoyed my initial stage of fish caring , but now i need help ,

this is the latest development , my electric yellow cichlid which was a very active fish has been hiding in the plants for the past 2 days , and this is worrying me a lot,she has stopped eating too ,i am not sure if this is a sign to say that she may leave me too , or is there something that can be done to bring her back to being her active self.

a few more questions as i am a beginner at this , would you say that corals are bad for fresh water tanks , i hear that they release calcium into the water

there are also some white dots on the interior of my tank at different points, does anyone know what it is .

I would love to hear from you guys as soon as possible on what i can do ,and how i can keep my buddies happy

Regards
Aural Shatananda

There is so much that can be going on here Aural. If these are new tanks you may have stocked them too quickly creating an Ammonia spike. When this happens the fish, due to stress, will succumb to a whole host of maladies. Do you have readings for ammonia and nitrites? Are you familiar with cycling a tank?

hi again

let me give you an update ,

i now have 2 peacock cichlids and 4 young kenyi cichlids in the tank , sometime earlier i had 2 firemouth that got cotton wool and the ich and died

to answer your question on ammonia spike an cycling , i have not ever done the cycling
as our pet shops here in bangalore do not have test kits or the ammonia or nitrite that you would require

Another concern would be that my electric yellow female looked like it had a swollen mouth yesterday , and in an hour she looked fine ,and i saw air bubbles coming from the gills, is this something to worry about

Back
Top Bottom