Need some help identifying this new critter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thetmaxx

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was unsuccessful at taking a photo of him, but the pet store sold it as a "Horse Face" she said it was related to the cichlids, but I can't find any information about him. I'll try to get a picture, but if anyone knows it would be great help. thank you!

Here is a photo of him. (Best I could do)

horseface.jpg

Looks like a Geophagus. I can't tell the exact species. It is a SA cichlid.

TankGirl said:
Look into Geophagus surinamensis - almost definitely some type of "earth eater."

I concur....neat fish, but not sure how happy it will be in your tank....geos should have an almost dedicated tank of 90+ gallons to a small group of them.

Okay, I've changed my mind (sortof :wink: ). How about this, Satanoperca jurupari?

Satanoperca_jurupari.jpg

Here is a nifty website to help ID your earth eater: http://members.aol.com/pmchefalo/JURUPROJ.htm

Toirtis' recommendations hold true, any way you slice it, and they need a substrate that they can sift without getting pebbles lodged in their gill structures.

ya, the lady that got my fish wasn't helpful at all, and quite rude.

but i think it looks close to the Satanoperca jurupari in your photo above, and on that web site, but not exactly. he looks more blue, but due to variations in cameras, and between fish it could very well be the one.

thanks for all of your help. I'll do a little reasearch and find some more information on this guy.

Back
Top Bottom