need some opinions, please...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slroo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm changing the tank background to a solid color, but cant decide between blue or black. I have a 10g with a betta (black with red and dark blue fins) and some neons. I don't want the neons colors to be washed out by the blue background, but don't want to lose the betta against the black. Any opinions please?

I've done both on my 55. I decided on the blue. I couldn't tell you exactly why... I don't think one makes my fish look better than the other, I just like the blue better!

Thanks! And did you get the standard blue that they sell at places like Petsmart, etc? Like what they have as the background in their own tanks?

I used black krylon paint which has a very dark grey look to it on the glass (paint the outside, not the inside) and have been happy with the contrast.

How well does krylon stick to glass? I would like to go with a black background on my 70 gallon.(we will be moving soon so it would be great time to do it) I was going to go with a stick on background that uses oil between the glass and the background.(I can't think of the name of the company) I've heard it appears to give more depth to the tank. But then I was thinking about using a gloss black krylon to try to get the same effect.
Anyway I personally prefer black to blue but its just a matter of opinion.

I think most retailers paint their tank backs, as do a lot of people on this forum. I just bought the standard standard tape-on stuff that was blue on one side and black on the other.

Sticks very well. but doesn't show that much "gloss" since it's on glass.. You can probably save time and use spray paint.. I couldn't because it's too cold outside and I only had help for a limited time.

There is a pic in my sig.

I like black the best becasue it contrasts nicely with most of the colors of tropical fish. I think it gives about the nicest background to display tank inhabitants and think this is the main reason why you see black dominate. It makes the fish standout and grab you attention. I find blue to distract from a tank but that is really just personal opinion.

I use the cheapest black spray paint I can find. It is quick and really more user friendly in the long run. No tape, oil, air bubbles, etc... to deal with. Just mask of the sides and top and take your time. Runs look like crap. Do multiple coats if needed. I like to light from the front so I can see thin areas.

Just like justrelax mentioned, you can get a background that's black on one side and blue on the other. I recommend doing that, and using scotch tape to try both sides and see which one you like best.

Back
Top Bottom