Need some schooling fish ideas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azmodan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi! I have a 20 gal high that I want to stock with very peaceful community fish. Right now I just have two honey gouramis but my eventual plan is to have a pair of german blue rams and a nice school of 6-8 undecided fish as well. Attached are pics of my recently aquascaped tank, so you may notice there is a pretty large size piece of driftwood in there as well as a slate cave and several plants. My real question is what sort of peaceful schooling fish would work with the amount of size I'm working with? I just added the driftwood (which takes up quite a lot of space) so I still need to test what the exact ph is, but prior to the addition of the wood my water has always been a stable 8.2. Should I just aim for a smaller size tetra? I'm particularly fond of the rummy nose type but my main concern lies in finding a school of fish that will be the happiest with the space available. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_1033.jpg
    IMG_1033.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1036.jpg
    IMG_1036.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 105
Just a quick note:

API water hardness results for my tap:
kh - 7 dkh, 125 ppm
gh - 12 dkh, 214 ppm

Rummy nose tetras are nice but think they would prefer the swimming space, I like glowlight rasboras and I think they stay quite small, I would try a small shoal of them but research 1st as I have never kept them just trying to give you some ideas :) hope this helps.

Or something like galaxy rasboras or something similar? I would go with rasboras or similar rather than tetras.

Shane87 said:
Or something like galaxy rasboras or something similar? I would go with rasboras or similar rather than tetras.

Galaxy Rasboras are the same as chilli Rasboras.

Oh ok, idk a great deal about them I just always liked the glowlights :)

You won't have a peaceful tank with 2 GBR in a 20g, I would maybe reconsider this option. 2 males will go at, male/female will go after everything at spawning time aswell.

Borderlesscott said:
2 males will go at, male/female will go after everything at spawning time aswell.
+1 aggression at spawning, I had a male and female and they was very peaceful most of the time but when they spawned they would ferociously attack anything that came to close and that was in a 95g. I think they would try to kill everything :/

How about a group of albino cories( will look awesome with the black) and some small red fish of some type. Great looking tank btw.

Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone! Doing lots of research on these while we speak.

You won't have a peaceful tank with 2 GBR in a 20g, I would maybe reconsider this option. 2 males will go at, male/female will go after everything at spawning time aswell.

Yeah, admittedly I've debated long and hard about whether or not to try them. The general consensus is that they're normally very good community fish (aside from spawning time) but also their aggression (or sometimes lack thereof) is also dependent on the personalities of fish themselves. 20g is also not my ideal size for them, but sadly it's all I can work with now. Any suggestions for possible replacement fish?

Question: Safe to assume that a 20gal high is much too small for a pearl gourami? Lots of sites/people say you can, but I'm guessing it'd probably not be super happy and could get stunted...

I agree. I think it would be better not to add the Pearl Gouramis.

Have you looked into Bolivian Rams? They are very colorful but not as aggressive as the German Blues.

Also, it might have been mentioned already, but Harlequin Rasbora are great schooling fish. They are so cool!

I've tried almost every LFS on my island looking for Bolivian Rams haha. One has said they might be able to special order but I'm not very optimistic. Sadly, most vendors online also don't ship to Hawaii, and the ones that do charge quite a lot for shipping. The GBRs on the other hand I can get at my local LFS and they've given me really positive feedback on the breeder they get them from. I will continue to do more research...

You could also look into Licorice Gourami Fish or Sparkling Gourami Fish. There are small schooling fish like Threadfin Rainbow fish or Spotted Blue-eyes which tend to school in the upper waters of the aquarium. Oto cats (Otocinclus Catfish) are a great little algae eater. There are also pygmy cory cats and Sidthimunki Botia Loaches which do best in schools and are high energy entertaining little guys. These are just different options you could go with, but from what others listed I love the rummy nose (have a school of 21 myself) and the Galaxy Raspora. Your water is rather hard and ph rather high so you need to take those factors into consideration when picking out your fish. Fish like Rummy Nose prefer a softer water and lower ph. Just something to think about.

You know I brought some of my granddaughters fancy orando's from Hawaii to Missouri and the shipping was really no higher than shipping in the upper 48. Alot depends on the company, some places just rip you off, had that happen not too long ago, the place charged the "exact" cost of shipping and charged you when they shipped, I almost fell over because they charged 3x what you would normally pay for overnight. Check around as you might find not all places charge an arm and leg.

Yeah, I'll continue to look. The way it generally is I've discovered is that most vendors will not send their fish USPS Priority (with shipping usually around $11) to Hawaii, as it's normally a 2-4 day service (I'd say about 2-3 from the West coast, 3-5 from the East coast) and they feel that's too long. Express mail is a 2-day guarantee to Hawaii but will typically run at least $40-$50 for shipping alone. Too many clams to fork out if the fish don't make it or aren't healthy. Still though, finding the right fish no matter how hard it is is part of the fun! :)

Back
Top Bottom