Need some stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heinrich Lourens

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys.

I have finally got myself a nice large 60 gallon tank. Its a bit of an odd size as its only 3 feet long, but very high and deep. It has a built in filter compartment the size of a 5 gallon tank. Lighting is not very bright but its good enough.

Decor wise I made it look like a reef type system with TONS of caves and crevasses all over the place.

I just want some input on stocking. I currently have 6 Red Eye Tetras, 5 Tiger Barbs, 1 rainbow shark and 2 bronze corys.

I plan on getting one or 2 more tiger barbs and also a few more cories (albino).

All the fish get along very well with the barbs and the tetras actually playing together at times and the shark and the cories work together to hide their pellets from the other fish! The Shark seems quite friendly which surprised me.

I really really like the opaline/gold gouramis as well as bolivian rams. Would it be possible to add either or both of those species or would it be one too far? I have a backup tank belonging to my sister in which I can put the Rams if they don't work. Its a 15 gal blackwater.

I also like shrimp and crayfish/lobster but I don't know too much about compatibility on them with the fish I like. Any options there for the future?

I do a LOT of research so I know the fish. I just want some input from people who have experience.

Thanks for the input in advance!
Heinrich.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131030_222523.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131030_222523.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 75
Ok, I am thinking the rams may be too crowded with the corys and shark. As for that shark, watch for aggression as it grows as they can become nasty. The shrimp and crayfish are likely out as corys know no fear and the shark can be easily damaged. I'm afraid at some point the shrimp become dinner. A CPO may work.

The gouramis may work as long as you don't go over two and both are females. You could also go with pearls, dwarfs or pigmys-my preference. Golds and blues get large and the tank may not hold them.

Aren't dwarf gouramis a little prone to disease?

Just used my last test strip and the cycle is fully complete. Ph is 8.2 and hardness is in the medium to high range. I know the ph is high. All the fish seem pretty used to it. Peat moss is prob the best thing to bring it down a bit. I don't want to use artificial chems as it jus lasts for a while.

One thing that completely baffles me is that the largest of my Red Eye Tetras actually claimed a large area to himself and he chases a way any fish that goes there including the Tiger Barbs and THE SHARK!

How would a Pearl Gourami do in my tank? I like the Opaline a lot and think because they are more aggressive he can stand up for himself against the T-Barbs

My sister now wants to put a pair of rams in her 15 gallon blackwater tank. Only 2 Kuhlis in there at the moment

I should also mention the Tiger barbs are still quite small at just under an inch. The tetras are the same except for the largest one at just over a inch.

I'd worry about the barbs going after the Gourami feelers personally... Tiger barbs like to munch on anything dangly and those feelers are mighty tempting when they're waving around. Any gourami variety could be at risk, no matter how "tough" they are. You could have some better luck if you increase the barb school to 10, as then they'll tend to chase each other more than the Gourami. A single opaline shouldn't overload the tank and would have the best bet of keeping the barbs from getting too pushy.

As far as the shark goes, they're usually pretty mild and friendly until they hit around the 4-5" mark. That's when the territorial instincts start kicking in and it will probably rule the tank ;)

As other have mentioned already, avoid the crayfish/lobster/large shrimps, as they'll probably either hurt/eat the Cories, or will become food themselves. The shark might try to snack on them as it matures since they tend to be particularly territorial to bottom dwellers. The Cories should be fine with the shark, as they're pretty good characters at shrugging off the shark's attempts to herd them. The fact that they're growing up together will also help.

Thanks! I plan on getting 2 or 3 more cories and also at least 1 or 2 more tiger barbs. And the Opaline Gourami looks like the best bet. I really love the Opaline and Gold Gouramis.

Do you think that is about the max that I can put in this tank?
And what about Bolivian Rams in my sister's blackwater tank? I think its pushing it but she really likes them, and me too actually.

Depending on your water change schedule, filtration, and how planted you're going, you may be able to fit more, but you're at pretty good levels with that plan as-is.

Bolivian Rams need 30 gallons minimum, so they're not an option for the 15 gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom