Need Suggestion for stocking a 10G FW Planted...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daileene

Planted Tank Addict
Hi,

I have a 10G FW Planted that is recently in its 6th week of cycling with the following fishes:

1 x 4" koi
1 x 2 1/2" calico fantail
1 x 2 1/2" gold fantail
2 x dark grey with black dots plecostumus (1 is 1 1/2" and the other is 2.5")

I am hoping to rehome all of them soon to my father in law for his pond in the spring and some to my LFS for store credit.

Now once they are gone, I am really thinking of getting a betta as the centerpiece in here. My questions would be:

I know I can have a school of neon tetras with a betta coz they are compatible. But how many? If i cannot because I will be overstocked, please give me some suggestions as to what is best for a tankmate and how many...

Thank you all in advance.

P.S. Is live trapdoor snail (or something) good as an algae eater? The reason I am asking is that, I saw a listing in eBay that is cheap and will ship overnight, if I choose it. Thanks.

Last edited:
I dont know if the betta would do good with the neons, but you could always try (The bettas aggressive nature makes it hard or impossible to find tank-mates, but I guess it depends on the bettas personality). If you do try it, make sure to have some hiding spots and a back-up plan (If anything goes wrong).

The Trapdoors are good at getting rid of pond algae, but Im not sure about aquarium algae (Might be the same though...). Wait for more input on that.

I've had good luck with bettas in a 29g community and a 40B community. I've had a betta with neons in the past. He'd chase the neons around the tank a bit, but then he'd get bored and let them be for a while.

A betta could go in a 10g with maybe 5-7 neons if there's plants to break up the sight lines in the tank.

Trap door snails get big. You'd be better off with a nerite snail.

I dont know if the betta would do good with the neons, but you could always try (The bettas aggressive nature makes it hard or impossible to find tank-mates, but I guess it depends on the bettas personality). If you do try it, make sure to have some hiding spots and a back-up plan (If anything goes wrong).

The Trapdoors are good at getting rid of pond algae, but Im not sure about aquarium algae (Might be the same though...). Wait for more input on that.

Hi Ty. I have read before that they can be tankmates in a community tank. I have not had any experience with them together yet, but based on that article, as long as the tankmates of the betta doesn't look like the betta (e.g. guppies) then he/she is fine with them. So, I don't know.

Thanks for the info about the trapdoor...

Thank you so much Jim...

I've had good luck with bettas in a 29g community and a 40B community. I've had a betta with neons in the past. He'd chase the neons around the tank a bit, but then he'd get bored and let them be for a while.

A betta could go in a 10g with maybe 5-7 neons if there's plants to break up the sight lines in the tank.

Yes, I have live plants in my 10G. Thanks for the quantity info.

Trap door snails get big. You'd be better off with a nerite snail.

Thank you soooo much for this info. I was so close to choosing them over the nerite because they were cheap from that seller. I would stick with the nerite then. :)

Back
Top Bottom