Need to get my no2 down! ASAP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iamaj

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay a few threads down i told you about how my tank was stable then i added some driftwood wood and the water went bazurk.

I removed the tank and withen hours you could see the become clearer. But still my no2 is up (my test says its 1.0ppm)

My kh is 53.7ppm
PH is 6.6 (need to get it up just a tad)
Ammonia is reading very low but i dont think my test is accurate
no2 is 1.0ppm

I went out and got some chemicals to help this out (yes i know about most of your stances on chemicals). I got AmQuel + its suppose to remove nitrates, nitrates, ammonia and chroline. I noticed no differance in it.

How can i get my no2 down? My hornwort has lost all of its leafs and the fish are starting to devolop this white spots on them. They are little wite spots that look like a large grain of white sand stuck to them.

Im getting worried what can i do?

My tank is a 20 gal hex, planted, and was set up about 5 weeks ago. My nitrates ph ammonia and every thing was fine until i put in the wood. (its now removed and is soaking in a bucket).

Please Help!

thanks

H20 Change ASAP

One sure way to get NO2 levels down would be to do a significant water change; somewhere in the neighborhood of 20%.

I'm not sure driftwood is going to harm your tank. It may, as you noted, cloud your water some, but that would have dissapated after a while.

Spikes in NO2 usually come about from the addition of fish and are preceded by a spike in NH4.

While most folks here refrain from adding additional chemicals, they certainly can come in handy in an emergency. The problem with them is that they only mask symptoms and do nothing about the cause; hence most peoples' apprehension.

Back
Top Bottom