Need to know about platies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George9

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know, I know, there are a million threads on pregnant and breeding platies. I've read tons of threads about this and I still have some questions about breeding platies.

I just got a few today (1 male 3 females)

What does it mean when a platy is "squaring"?
What is a gravid spot?
How long do platies hold before they drop and how do I know when they will drop?

I feel like an idiot lol.

Again, sorry for another breeding thread

Thanks

when any livebearing fish like platies and guppies are "squaring", it means it's probably about to drop fry (probably within the enxt few days). they call it squaring because the back part of her stomach gets more angular as her vent opens up.

a gravid spot is the dark area of a fish's stomach. it may be a dark spot but it doesnt mean its pregnant, all females have a gravid spot. its just that it gets larger and darker when she's pregnant

platies will be pregnant for about 2 weeks and drop a few fry over the next couple of days. as to tell for when you think she's ready to drop, the info's up there :) if you still have any questions, feel free to ask away :D

JokerWx13 said:
when any livebearing fish like platies and guppies are "squaring", it means it's probably about to drop fry (probably within the enxt few days). they call it squaring because the back part of her stomach gets more angular as her vent opens up.

a gravid spot is the dark area of a fish's stomach. it may be a dark spot but it doesnt mean its pregnant, all females have a gravid spot. its just that it gets larger and darker when she's pregnant

platies will be pregnant for about 2 weeks and drop a few fry over the next couple of days. as to tell for when you think she's ready to drop, the info's up there :) if you still have any questions, feel free to ask away :D

Thank you! You cleared a lot up for me. I understand this a whole lot more. Thanks :)

Gestation period can run anywhere from 21-28 days. Usually the longer the better (not always the case but usually).

skywhitney said:
Gestation period can run anywhere from 21-28 days. Usually the longer the better (not always the case but usually).

Wow that's longer than I thought. Why would it be better if she drops at 28 days than 21 days?

with my guys i've seen that th longer they wait to drop the larger and more developed the fry (AKA a few more might survive)

Ahh Okay, that makes sense. I think I'm already starting to see some breeding behavior too. I see the male chasing one of the females around and kinda rubbing up against her. I think this is a good thing :D

I've thought of some more questions!

Once they are born, ive read you should move them to a fry tank. But how long after they are born? How should i acclimate? I don't want to leave them in the breeding net for a couple months.

And how long does it take for them to grow to a size so they won't be eaten? Which is like 3/4" to an inch.

Thanks ;)

Back
Top Bottom