Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Oscar98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: millville pennsylvania
Posts: 1,722
Ok, my parents have only ever had a 20g with little fish like neons. They only had to do water changes every once in a while. So every week when i do WC i get yelled out. So here are my tanks, i want to know how often and how big of a WC you would do on them

55g temporarily- 10" red oscar, 4" tiger oscar, 8" red devil
Aqueon 55/75 filter.
I do %50 wc on wednsdays 10g change on saturdays

55g- pair of convicts, pair of jewels, salvini 2" , some kind of mut/mayan 4-5"
I do 10g wc twice a week
Aqueon 55-75

150g- 5 1" jaguars
Just got it cycled so no changes yet but will be doing 2 50g changes a week

Lets see your opinions
__________________

__________________
Oscar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Alyxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Slidell, La
Posts: 2,284
Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar98 View Post
Ok, my parents have only ever had a 20g with little fish like neons. They only had to do water changes every once in a while. So every week when i do WC i get yelled out. So here are my tanks, i want to know how often and how big of a WC you would do on them

55g temporarily- 10" red oscar, 4" tiger oscar, 8" red devil
Aqueon 55/75 filter.
I do %50 wc on wednsdays 10g change on saturdays

55g- pair of convicts, pair of jewels, salvini 2" , some kind of mut/mayan 4-5"
I do 10g wc twice a week
Aqueon 55-75

150g- 5 1" jaguars
Just got it cycled so no changes yet but will be doing 2 50g changes a week

Lets see your opinions
I would honestly change a little more on both 55 gallons, but I am a big fan of large water changes anyway. My 56 gallon isn't overstocked and only has small fish but I do over 75% changes weekly.

I think the best way to show your parents not only that the changes are needed, but also that you care about the well being of the fish and that you are learning something from having them (always a big plus for parents, lol) would be to keep a testing log for each tank over a few weeks. Show them how high the nitrates climb before you do a water change, and how much the changes effect the parameters for the better. You might even learn that you need to change more water a week, or maybe see that you could get away with less. Just test all your parameters daily and write it down, along with when you do water changes and how big they are. Maybe make a cool graph. And then after collecting your data for a few weeks, give them a little presentation.
__________________

__________________
Alyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Oscar98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: millville pennsylvania
Posts: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyxx View Post

I would honestly change a little more on both 55 gallons, but I am a big fan of large water changes anyway. My 56 gallon isn't overstocked and only has small fish but I do over 75% changes weekly.

I think the best way to show your parents not only that the changes are needed, but also that you care about the well being of the fish and that you are learning something from having them (always a big plus for parents, lol) would be to keep a testing log for each tank over a few weeks. Show them how high the nitrates climb before you do a water change, and how much the changes effect the parameters for the better. You might even learn that you need to change more water a week, or maybe see that you could get away with less. Just test all your parameters daily and write it down, along with when you do water changes and how big they are. Maybe make a cool graph. And then after collecting your data for a few weeks, give them a little presentation.
Ok thanks! Will do
__________________
Oscar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
azmodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,368
You're definitely doing the right thing and Alyxx's suggestion is great, but from your parents' perspective that is quite a lot of water being used every week. If you don't already maybe you could offer to pay for part of the water bill? If you already do then good job!
__________________
azmodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Oscar98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: millville pennsylvania
Posts: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmodan View Post
You're definitely doing the right thing and Alyxx's suggestion is great, but from your parents' perspective that is quite a lot of water being used every week. If you don't already maybe you could offer to pay for part of the water bill? If you already do then good job!
We dont have a water bill. We have a well.
__________________
Oscar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Alyxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Slidell, La
Posts: 2,284
Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmodan View Post
You're definitely doing the right thing and Alyxx's suggestion is great, but from your parents' perspective that is quite a lot of water being used every week. If you don't already maybe you could offer to pay for part of the water bill? If you already do then good job!
That's a good idea too!
__________________
Alyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar98 View Post

We dont have a water bill. We have a well.
Do you ever run low on water?
__________________
foshizzle11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Oscar98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: millville pennsylvania
Posts: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post

Do you ever run low on water?
Not really. Maybe a little in the middle of summer but not much.
__________________
Oscar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar98 View Post

Not really. Maybe a little in the middle of summer but not much.
Maybe something to do with it?
__________________
foshizzle11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Oscar98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: millville pennsylvania
Posts: 1,722
No becuase she yells at me about it even when itsthe rainy season. In the summer im going to do a little less water changes cuz i have to but i will also start filling up 55g drums.
__________________

__________________
Oscar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.