Need to prove something to my mom about water changes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscar98

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, my parents have only ever had a 20g with little fish like neons. They only had to do water changes every once in a while. So every week when i do WC i get yelled out. So here are my tanks, i want to know how often and how big of a WC you would do on them

55g temporarily- 10" red oscar, 4" tiger oscar, 8" red devil
Aqueon 55/75 filter.
I do %50 wc on wednsdays 10g change on saturdays

55g- pair of convicts, pair of jewels, salvini 2" , some kind of mut/mayan 4-5"
I do 10g wc twice a week
Aqueon 55-75

150g- 5 1" jaguars
Just got it cycled so no changes yet but will be doing 2 50g changes a week

Lets see your opinions

Ok, my parents have only ever had a 20g with little fish like neons. They only had to do water changes every once in a while. So every week when i do WC i get yelled out. So here are my tanks, i want to know how often and how big of a WC you would do on them

55g temporarily- 10" red oscar, 4" tiger oscar, 8" red devil
Aqueon 55/75 filter.
I do %50 wc on wednsdays 10g change on saturdays

55g- pair of convicts, pair of jewels, salvini 2" , some kind of mut/mayan 4-5"
I do 10g wc twice a week
Aqueon 55-75

150g- 5 1" jaguars
Just got it cycled so no changes yet but will be doing 2 50g changes a week

Lets see your opinions

I would honestly change a little more on both 55 gallons, but I am a big fan of large water changes anyway. My 56 gallon isn't overstocked and only has small fish but I do over 75% changes weekly.

I think the best way to show your parents not only that the changes are needed, but also that you care about the well being of the fish and that you are learning something from having them (always a big plus for parents, lol) would be to keep a testing log for each tank over a few weeks. Show them how high the nitrates climb before you do a water change, and how much the changes effect the parameters for the better. You might even learn that you need to change more water a week, or maybe see that you could get away with less. Just test all your parameters daily and write it down, along with when you do water changes and how big they are. Maybe make a cool graph. And then after collecting your data for a few weeks, give them a little presentation.

I would honestly change a little more on both 55 gallons, but I am a big fan of large water changes anyway. My 56 gallon isn't overstocked and only has small fish but I do over 75% changes weekly.

I think the best way to show your parents not only that the changes are needed, but also that you care about the well being of the fish and that you are learning something from having them (always a big plus for parents, lol) would be to keep a testing log for each tank over a few weeks. Show them how high the nitrates climb before you do a water change, and how much the changes effect the parameters for the better. You might even learn that you need to change more water a week, or maybe see that you could get away with less. Just test all your parameters daily and write it down, along with when you do water changes and how big they are. Maybe make a cool graph. And then after collecting your data for a few weeks, give them a little presentation.

Ok thanks! Will do

You're definitely doing the right thing and Alyxx's suggestion is great, but from your parents' perspective that is quite a lot of water being used every week. If you don't already maybe you could offer to pay for part of the water bill? If you already do then good job! (y)

You're definitely doing the right thing and Alyxx's suggestion is great, but from your parents' perspective that is quite a lot of water being used every week. If you don't already maybe you could offer to pay for part of the water bill? If you already do then good job! (y)

We dont have a water bill. We have a well.

That's a good idea too!

No becuase she yells at me about it even when itsthe rainy season. In the summer im going to do a little less water changes cuz i have to but i will also start filling up 55g drums.

Back
Top Bottom