Need your input

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sinuhe

Aquarium Advice Freak
There is a used aquarium available that I've got my eye on. I called the guy who's selling it, and got answers to my questions. It's an 80 liter/ 21 gallon tank with an aluminum frame. It hasn't been used for a year (empty of water for 1 year). Apparently it's in good condition, no scratches, etc. It's got an under gravel filter (run by an air pump) which I have no previous experience on, but it sounds like a good idea for this particular tank that I'm planning for one or two Gouramis, who apparently don't like a lot of surface movement in the water, which the internal power filters used around here cause a lot. It's got a 20 Watt submersible heater, and a lighting fixture that holds one fluorescent tube. I'm gonna go check the tank out on Sunday before making my decision. My questions to you are:

- Does the UGF sound good?
- Should I worry about leaking when the tank hasn't been used for a year? (I could supposedly test leakage by filling it up in my bathroom) He said it used to hold water just fine when it was in use still

Edited to add: He's asking 80 Euros for it, which is roughly the same in $. That's less than half the price of a similar brand new setup, which I consider a very good price if the tank really is in good condition.

It may hold just fine If it was left outside I would be worried but if it was in a temperate invironment it could be fine. The old tanks with black sealer dry rot some. I have an old 15 gallon with a slate bottom it leaks but Ill seal it later with a 2 part marine epoxy. I dont like the ugf and the air will still disturb the surface some.

Thanks :). If the UGF sounds like a bad idea, I might as well get a filter separately. I don't know if it was kept in warm or not. There is a chance it's been kept in a garage of some kind, which in Finland tend to get quite cold in the winter. I didn't ask about that, unfortunately.

I just took the UGF out of my tank, and even though I change water and vacuum the gravel weekly, there was so much crap under those plates - I couldn't believe it! I am amazed that my fish are as healthy as they are having lived with all that under their gravel. I'm sticking with my HOB filter.

If I were you, I'd remove the UGF plates and stick with the in-tank filter that's worked well for you in the past. I have a small one of those that I keep cycled in case I need it on the QT, and the current from it isn't too bad as long as I keep it well submerged and off to one side of the tank.

Good luck with the gouramis! :mrgreen:

I've also recently taken a UGF out of one of my tanks. It really doesn't accomplish what it sets out to, which defeats the very concept of using one. UGFs were all the crazy 10 years ago, and now ppl have pretty much realized how ineffective they are. The real problem with them is that they are not powerful enough to suck the crud out from under the filter plate. As a result, the crap will rot, and you will have to dismantle the whole tank to clean it (NOT worth it). I did this several times, and got completely fed up. As per the tank, heater and light, that's a decent price, but not a great one. I've seen 20Gs for $30 usually, and light fixtures for as little as $30. A 20 W heater is really cheap. I guess the stand would be at least $30, so you're probably getting a fairly good deal. Bargain him down to $70, and you're doin' fine! I usually find that ppl will allow you to bargain them down on such items.

BTW, Sinuhe, I love how neat your tanks are. Do they always look that clean and sparkling? I find that after I take the pictures, the tanks usually get a little messier :oops: But the truth of it is that the tanks are really the cleanest part of my house--I keep them in great shape and forget to put my clothes away, do the dishes, etc.... My girlfriend always says that my fish live better lives than I do as a result!

Thanks for your input, people :)

I think the tank setups in Finland are a bit more expensive than in the states. For a new 21 gallon tank alone I'd probably have to pay something around 50-60 Euros (or $). Also wouldn't get the light for 30. A good 20W heater costs about 20 Euros. There is no stand included in this one (and neither is it included in the regular tank setup sold from pet stores). The stand is going to be my main dilemma. I could ask my dad to make one just like he did for my other tank, but it was so recently I feel bad asking again :lol:.

My tanks look clean in the pics because they are still so new, and because you can't see all the details in the pics :lol:. There is a good amount of different types of algae growing in the 33 gallon by now.

Sinuhe,

what you should do is ask the guy that is selling the tank to fill it with water so that you can make sure it doesn't leak. That way you will know that it is OK.
As for undergravel filtration, what can i say in there defence, they are one of the oldest types of filtration. Before all these externals and internal filtrations come out there wasn't anything better and people used them for years without any bad things to say about them.
Now with technology and the way this hobby is going undergravels are old hat and no body wants them anymore. They have there down sides i agree, they are not very good if you want to grow plants.
As for maintanance on them, i have never striped one down to get the crud from under the plate. What i do is put my syphon tube down my uplift tubes and draw all the sludge out that way, without disturbing the gravel. And i do that about once a year.

But my advice to you would be to *GO WITH WHAT YOU KNOW*

I agree, if you want plants, the roots will grow into the filter plate and block the water flow. The UGF has had its day I belivee. A good HOB will not hurt a gourami. They are quite tough customers. I have 2 in my parents 20 gallon tank with a AC 200 and they do fine. Just make a place for them to go if they need a rest, like a big rock or an ornament. Heck ours sometimes hide in the fly fox's cave (very funny to watch that little fight).

As long as the glass is in good condition it is very easy to reapply some aquarium silicon and make it water tight again. If it sounds liek a good deal and you are handy then go for it. I had a tank at home sit unused for 5 years or more. I ran a thin bead of silicon just in case, but it works great.

If you are setting a tank up on a budget, then I personally will suggest that you stick with the UGF you already have.

I agree with this. They do work, i just got rid of my last one just last week. While I do think many of us U.S. folks would argue against them, (including myself) I think being able to set up a new tank is more important. UGFs are not bad, just an old-scholl way of doing things. As Terry said many in the hobby swear by them and will stick by them.
As for maintanance on them, i have never striped one down to get the crud from under the plate. What i do is put my syphon tube down my uplift tubes and draw all the sludge out that way, without disturbing the gravel.
This never really worked for me, and I tried it many times. Oh well.

If you feel the whole setup is a good deal, go for it. Insofar as a stand goes, I have 2 different 20 gallon tanks, both kept on sturdy tables. You may already own something suitable.

Flexibility is key when trying to get by on a tight budget in this hobby!

corvuscorax,
Quote:

As for maintenance on them, i have never striped one down to get the crud from under the plate. What i do is put my syphon tube down my uplift tubes and draw all the sludge out that way, without disturbing the gravel.

This never really worked for me, and I tried it many times. Oh well.
[/quote]

"I MUST HAVE THE KNACK" 27yrs of sucking on syphon pipes hahahahahahaha

But seriously Corvuscorax is right, if it is a tight budget then go with what you can afford. You can always improve on it later.

Hmm, well the plant thing is one more argument against the UGF, since I'm all for live plants, and this tank will be quite heavily planted, as well. If I decide to the get this tank, I'm going to toss the UGF and get a Fluval 2Plus internal power filter. I've got a Fluval on my other tank, and I like its look and features.

Well, my dad offered to make another stand without me even asking for it, so the stand problem is all set :). It won't cost me anything :D. Handy, helpful dads are priceless :lol:.

OK, I bought it. Some corrections to what I told earlier: on closer inspection the tank wasn't exactly 80 liters/21 gallons. That was probably based on the rounded measurements taken from the outside the frame included. Based on actual inner measurements the capacity is more something like 63 liters/16 gallons, which is still fine to me. It's got a fluorescent light hood with one 15W tube. The heater is 50W, not 20 like he said on the phone. There is an air pump and an air stone that I don't need for now, but it's good to have in case I need one later, I've been thinking of getting one, anyway. There's a net, and an almost full bottle of dechlorinator. Gravel, an algae magnet, and some clutter I'm probably not going to need. And the UGF thing. Got it all for 70 Euros.

What I need to get now is the internal power filter, a new bulb for the light, and new gravel (I saw some nice looking gravel in a LFS recently that I prefer to the stuff that came with the tank). The total price for the setup is going to be something over 100 Euros, which isn't too bad, since I'm getting the stand for free, and most of the plants are going to be recruited from my other tanks.

Sinuhe,

Concrats on your new purchase, got a good price in the end well done. I wish you all the best on your new tank and keep us posted on what your doing.

Have fun.

Terry

Back
Top Bottom