Needing a lil' help! Tiny white "worms?" on tank s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fourmyclowns

Aquarium Advice Activist
I could sure use some input from the experts that hang out on A-A regarding my freshwater fish. I just did a 20% water change and added a dark background to the tank and immediately saw there are tiny white worms all over the tank sides and in the water. I'd say 1/2 mm each in length. The fish appear healthy. I did find a rotting moth stuck in there behind the filter that smelled awful but I suppose that would be too easy to assign the blame to. Is it time to treat for Ich? I have a bottle of copper treatment handy but have seen mention here about using salt and temp as treatment. I'm not sure if my three little fish can handle the higher temps (platy,mollie and glass knife). I remember reading about a way to adjust the salt as well. How do I know if they can tolerate it?

I'm all ears (or eyes as websites go!)

Usually nematodes are the result of overfeeding or infrequent water changes. You can't see the free swimming ich with the naked eye so don't treat for it. Ich looks like your fish have been salted.

it sounds like nematodes. I found that a dose of parasite cure rid my tank of them, but I am not 100% sure that they are all gone.

Wow! I never would have known that could be it. Thanks so much - so glad it doesn't indicate Ich. I will sleep better tonight with that info. I'm going to see what I can read up on nematodes....all I know is that they wiped out Bikini Bottom once on Spongebob!

OK read as much as I could but still REALLY want to know - are they harmless to humans? Got a houseful of kids and I'm concerned about spreading this stuff to them even though I wash with antibacterial soaps.

Thanks Apocalypse - I saw a webpage that had them listed on the same page as tapeworms and ringworms!

Eww. I think I just infected my 10 gal with these things. Gross. My roommate was keeping a betta in a 1/2 gal hex. She didn't want the betta anymore and I felt sorry for it being all stuffed up in that tank sitting in yucky water, so I fixed up the empty 10 gal for him. After I put him in I saw all these nasty little things wiggling around in there (he stirred up a lot of water trying to avoid the net). Is it okay to put a little bit of salt in there or something? I read the other thread that's linked, I know they're harmless, but they're grossing me out. Is there anything I can do to kill them off?

Back
Top Bottom