Needing help asap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcnomnom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thanks would be appreciated if someone can help me with suggestions!

I am a beginner fish keeper but have done a decent amount of research. I have a 10 gallon tank, two mollies two guppies all males its been set up for about a month. Two weeks ago treated sick fish for ick and cotton wool (bought a sick fish unknowingly) and after treatement, water was cloudy and everything had a layer of slime type stuff (thinner then a piece of paper but not a membrane substance) which was excpected. I then replaced the carbon filter with a new one because it needed to be changed, I rinsed the carbon filter out in aquaruim water in a bucket before putting it in, but apparently 5 minutes of washing wasnt enough, my tank now is VERY cloudy. You cant even see completly across the tank from one side to the other through two sides (left and right) WHAT SHOULD I DO!!! I have already done one 10% change, it helped a bit but then got worse. Clueless and needing help PLEASE!

Did you rinse all of the filter media? You may have killed your bb and started a minicycle. When you change the filter media you need to leave something (the pad, a bag of creamic rings) in there to keep it cycled. Also your tank is stocked a little on the heavy side because of the messyness of the fish. Best you can do is do lots of water changes until the cycle is done.

Did not rinse the whole filter just replaced the carbonfilter and rinsed that. And thats the thing, the carbon filter cartrage was falling apart it didnt keep its form and had gunk all over it to the point id have to tear it apart to get all the gunk. (the gunk was again this weird slime) what should i do for now to keep the stress levels of my fish down? They dont seem the lease bit effected by the water but, im afraid of the long term and want my tank better and best it could be as possible and as quick as it can be. Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom