Neighbor's Cat Killing Fish And Furniture. . . Please Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

honmol

Aquarium Advice Activist
My neighbor's cat has destroyed about a thousand dollars worth of fish and furniture in my house (clawed a hole in the screen door so that she can get in)I have my guppies in a pond in the warmer months (which is about 9 months of the year) so that I can best mimic their natural habitat and living conditions. This cat comes and kills my guppies, the plants, and the fry, not to mention using my leather furniture as scratching posts. I'm also allergic to cats and it comes into my house and catifies it (I know it's not a word) How can I get it to stop killing my fish? Yesterday it killed my favorite male. He had the biggest tail I'd ever seen and was amazingly colorful and a good breeder. I walked outside to find it clawing at my pond. There wasn't much I could do. It had slashed him. How can I stop this cat from destroying more of my fish and furniture? (but mainly the fish)

I'll tell you what I tell everybody, trap the cat and take it to the humane society. Press charges for the couch as having an animal on the loose that walks into people's houses is illegal. The neighbor's obviously aren't responsible for their animal and don't care about it. They are lucky they don't have somebody in the neighborhood that will shoot it. Cats outside are at risk from cars, people, other animals, diseases and much more. You'll be doing the cat a favor by trapping it and you will be helping the neighbors to realize what kind of pet owners they are.

another trick that works well with cats, and dogs for that matter, is mouse traps. Place them in strategic locations. Usually once is all it takes.

You never mentioned talking to the cat owner though? Do you know the cat owner? Maybe they aren't aware what a holy terror their furry friend is....is that possible. If the owners already know and aren't doing anything to resolve the situation then I agree with the court and humane society option. But if they don't know then definitely talk with them as many people leave their cats out all day and have no idea what the buggers are up to.

1st before we get all into trapping animals, have you contacted the neighbor and talked about it. Everyone is so sue him sue them nowadays it makes me sick. Be Good Phamily.

I know people who squirt lemon juice and sprinkle pepper around their gardens to keep stray cats away. I've tried it indoors around electrical equipment when my cat was a kitten and it worked well. I've no idea if this is feasible around a pond.

Hope you get some satisfaction for your losses. Your restraint and level-headedness is amazing.

fantasticaqua said:
1st before we get all into trapping animals, have you contacted the neighbor and talked about it. Everyone is so sue him sue them nowadays it makes me sick. Be Good Phamily.

So very true! However, when personal property damage is done, the pet owner (knowingly or not) is ultimately liable. Perhaps court or the H.S. isn't needed if an agreement can be reached so I'll retract my statement along those lines lines.

P.S. - I have a cat so it's not that I'm anti-cat. :wink:

DepotFish said:
I'll tell you what I tell everybody, trap the cat and take it to the humane society. Press charges for the couch as having an animal on the loose that walks into people's houses is illegal. The neighbor's obviously aren't responsible for their animal and don't care about it. They are lucky they don't have somebody in the neighborhood that will shoot it. Cats outside are at risk from cars, people, other animals, diseases and much more. You'll be doing the cat a favor by trapping it and you will be helping the neighbors to realize what kind of pet owners they are.

If you do that, you are sentencing the cat to death.

Talk to your neighbors and see if they what they have to say and if they would cooperative. Maybe put something over the pond that the cat can't get into, replace the screen on your door that the cat scratched through- with something other than screen. See if your neighbors will pay for it.

The cat is doing what is natural to it- don't punish the cat for not knowing any better.

Do not make suggestions such as the one that has been edited out.
Thank you.

Honmol,
I would suggest talking to the owner if you havent yet. If you have talked to the owner though, I would say the Humane Society and small claims is the best.
If there is something you can put around the pond and your door to detour the cat, such as the lemon juice someone suggested earlier, maybe some Bitter Apple. Even though it would be an inconveint for you what about putting a chicken wire fence around your pond.
You can't always train a cat, I have been trying to train my cat to stay off the counter now for 3 1/2 years to no avail. The mouse traps may work I may try those on my counter.

Not all Humane Societies destroy animals, call around. I would have to say if the cat get euthanized, it maybe better than running the streets or getting ran over.
I am all for animals, after volunteering in a shelter that was for the most part a no kill, sometimes it's for the best. Before I volunteered there I would have never said that, after seeing the goings on of the shelter and those that abandon thier animals.

I have very very tall dogs (borzoi) and they are notorious for nose on counter syndrome...the mousetraps work great. Usually the cats will spring the traps and they are fast enough not to get caught, but the noise makes up for it and scares the bejeezes out of them. (Disclaimer: this is my personal experience only and your mileage may vary)

I really want to stress the fact to NOT take them to a human society. They have so many animals to deal with already. These issues with the cat can be straightened with out actualling involving relocating the cat.

If your neighbors refuse to pay for damages- then ya take them to small claims court.. but like I said.. don't punish the cat for doing what is natural to them

try the lemon juice ... i believe its anything citrus ... orange, lemon, lime, grapefruit ... i'm assuming its the smell. I've read of people spraying that orange air freshner stuff on couches / curtains to prevent cats from clawing stuff up.

Also, get a nice Super Soaker and shoot the cat anytime it comes near ... cats don't like water, and it won't hurt the cat.

I agree that you should speak with the neighbor, and file a complaint with animal control if you get no satisfaction.

Cats hate the smell of geraniums, petunias, marigolds. Since my parents started using these plants heavily around the vegetable garden and patio, the neighborhood cats have stayed away. Cats also hate anything citrus - Use some orange, grapefruit, or lemon peels to create a barrier around the pond. There are also non-toxic, but horrid smelling (to cats) commercial sprays that you can use around your outside doors to repel cats.

First, I don't think to sue them, just get money for the couch and other damage, then put something in place of the screen door. I'd assumed you had talked to the neighbors but maybe not. It's not punishing the cat to take it to the humane society. I work at a humane society. Trust me the cat is better off finding a new home then laying on the side of the road with internal bleeding from being hit by a car until it dies a few days later.

One possible cat deterrant is dog smell. Get dog hair from a groomer and put it all around.

I can't speak for all humane societies obviously, but I know that ours has a time limit that they can keep cats, if the cat doesn't get adopted out they get euthanized. First talk to the neighbour, if that doesn't work, take them to small claims court. I agree don't punish the cat, it isn't his fault.

Back
Top Bottom