nematodes float... easier to clean.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thetmaxx

Aquarium Advice Activist
while tryign to clean my nematodes out... i've cut way back on feeding, and cleaning every week. i thought what if i shut off the current... so i turned off the filter and the air...

about 5 minutes later they are all surfacing. like a big white cloud (not the fish) on the surface of the water. so i stuck a container in, and skimmed off the surface of the water sucking in a lot of the nematodes. i did this a few times, until not as many were surfaced, then let it sit. a few mins later there were a lot more on the surface, so i skimmed it again.

since i've cut back their food supply im hopping cutting back the population will expedite the extinction of the unsightly critters. the water is much clearer now.

i dont know what ya'll think of this, or if it will help anyone, but I thought it was a very positive thing to do for my tank. also is algae a food source for the nemotoades? cuz i want to get another otto, but was waiting for the water quality to return to decent.

Well I for one love that idea! I am assuming you did not leave the filter off for very long, but I'm impressed with the ingenuity. AFAIK, they don't eat algae, just detritus.

Good call to wait on a stable, healthy tank before getting another otocinclus.

i just wanted to ask about this. i get the general idea about the nematodes. how did you get them in the first place. and if they eat detritus isnt that good? i just was browsing and became confused.

Anything that eats detritus will create their own waste, so detritus eaters have their own caveat, but I think until you look in your tank and notice creepy, crawly, writhing tiny worms in there you can't appreciate the desire to get RID of them, LOL!

I am not sure how they get in there in the first place, but they must arrive in the gut of fish who have consumed them or their eggs, perhaps. It is like maggots - they are detritus eaters and perform a beneficial role in the ecosystem, but when you open your trash can lid and see them you can't think of anything but making them go away. Your day will come.... 8)

Back
Top Bottom