Neon tetra disease experience?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyGuy333

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone, I have some neon tetras and I just had some questions about neon tetra disease. I don't think any of mine had it but it doesn't hurt to be prepared. The info I found online is kind of vague.

How long does it take before it starts showing visible signs/symptoms in the fish? How long is its incubation period?

How long does it usually take to kill a fish? Doe it vary?
I read that it is incurable so if you dose a tank with meds would it slow its progress? make the fish last longer only to eventually still die from the disease or even make it healthy enough to continue to spread said disease.

It says that infected tetras will often be by themselves, so if more than one are infected would that mean you would see two distinct groups of tetras? for instance If I had ten tetras and 5 were infected would they all try to seperate themselves from each other so i would have one group of five (the uninfected) and five guys that are separate even from eachother or would the infected form an infected school/group/shoal of their own?

I would appreciate people that have had experience with this to let me know how they dealt with it, but all help/advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!:fish2::fish1:

So NTD does not just affect Neon Tetras, in contrast to the name. It could affect everyone. And NTD will kill the Neons pretty quickly, so you would probably know by now. What are your tetras doing that makes you believe they might have this? Pictures?

I know that it is a communicable disease from what i have read. And i don't think my neons have it. they don't show any of the signs or symptoms, but nowhere that I have found has given me a timeline/time table of infection/incubation. So i have had mine for about two-two and a half months, but I don't know if they might have it and its dormant. I was mostly asking out of curiosity and paranoia.
I tend to be overly-cautious.

do you have any experience with this ailment (or does anyone reading this)? if so what was your experience like?

Back
Top Bottom