neon tetra feeding...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippy guy

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a school of 5 neon tetras, and had a question about feeding them. I cannot get them to come to the surface to get the flake food, and my other fish will eat it all, how can I get the food to them.. I have used brine shrimp for neons before, but don't want them to be dependent on that and then turn down other food.. any ideas??

My cory cats would not allow that to go down lol... should I just keep getting frozen brine to feed the tetras? Or maybe bloodworms (live or frozen) might interest them eenough?

hippy guy said:
My cory cats would not allow that to go down lol... should I just keep getting frozen brine to feed the tetras? Or maybe bloodworms (live or frozen) might interest them eenough?

If you feed to much frozen food, they can bloat. Don't feed frozen food every day for a long period of time

Do you only have flakes? Maybe if you starve them a few days they will be really hungry and go to the surface to eat. So they don't eat floating flakes?

Kind of a simple solution that you may have tried, but instead of sprinkling food at the surface, I swish my fingers around in the tank under the water and the food disperses evenly and will get down to all my mid-level and bottom feeders. Plus it's funny because my Danios start nipping at my fingers trying to eat out of my hand :)

eco is right, submerse your fingers and disperse the flakes. this gives them a chance. you might also want to still sprinkle some on the top so the others leave the floating flakes for the tetras

Or here's another way--especially if transitioning from flake to sinking pellets--sprinkle/pinch flakes, then pellets and the pellets will bring down the flakes to the neons. Something I learned with my neons...

Or do not worry about it, they will not starve themselves. When they are hungry they will go get the food.

Thnx rev. Ill try that ..my filter has a current disperse thing on it, so no current from that...no current at all in my tank actually lol

If u want to do frozen blood worms and keep them from bloating get a cup fill it with tank water let the blood worms soak for a bit them add them....this will cause them to sink quicker too

So eco.. I put some flakes in, and swirled my finger a bit, and the neons loved it, they ate all the food, and I needed to put some more on the top for the others..they still won't eat food on the top..but that's a really good idea..so thanks :) my neons say thanks also haha

hippy guy said:
So eco.. I put some flakes in, and swirled my finger a bit, and the neons loved it, they ate all the food, and I needed to put some more on the top for the others..they still won't eat food on the top..but that's a really good idea..so thanks :) my neons say thanks also haha

No problem :). Happy they got lunch. My Danios are such maniacs that even if the Neons actually came to the top, they'd still have trouble getting a bite. It's funny how simple things like that in this hobby can make such a difference. Now if only I could convert my Bolivian Ram from being strictly a bottom feeding scavenger, I'd be in good shape myself, lol.

Back
Top Bottom