neon tetra fungal outbreak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyGuy333

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone, I just transferred my neon tetras to a bigger tank (20g to a 40g) and most of them are now suffering from fungal infections (or at least what I think are fungal infections; white cottony extensions on different parts of fish).

I previously had them in a tank with dalmation mollies who suffered from this when i first moved them into the tank from the store. I treated with tetra lifeguard tablets and it was gone within a week. I moved the mollies that previously shared their 20g into the 40 gallon a week before and they didn't have a fungal outbreak.

when I was looking online about it, many places say fungal outbreaks can be caused by stress, dirty water, and/or weakened immune systems. Which would make sense that they would be stressed after a big move to a different environment.
a couple of people said that fungus will always remain in the body of the fish but will break out/become active when stressed or when immune system is compromised/weakened. I just wanted to see what y'all thought about this?

If this is true should i just wait for the fish's natural immune response to improve in their new environment? It already seems like on a couple of fish the cottony parts are getting smaller, but for the majority of the fish the sites are not shrinking or growing.

I'd agree the fungus and bacteria and maybe even parasites are always there in say the water but a healthy fish can cope fine. Any stress or a bit of damage and they take advantage very quickly.

It's true that the underlying cause is always in the tank and an infection is caused by weakness/stress

Although I will say that this is not one they just get over. While not life-threatening, the lumps will come and go, causing the fish to always be slightly weakened

Any new fish will also be affected

I have been dealing with this since January and used Lifeguard and an anti biotic before finally figuring out that it's fungal

There was even a period where the lfs said it was viral and I should do nothing, so now my new harlequins have it too.

I would treat and save the headache

Back
Top Bottom