Neon tetra question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shana0310

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have 3 basic neon tetras. I had 4 others but they've died over time. I was wondering, will they school with other types of neons? Like cardinals? Or green? Or should they all be the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cardinals are another species that though they look very similar, get larger than neons.

I'm unsure about the green neons though.

Caleb

The "basic" neon tetra is Paracheirodon innesi. Paracheirodon simulans is sometimes called the false neon, or the green neon tetra. Cardinals are a completely different species also. That said, many people have cards and neons that will shoal up together. They are closely related and they will generally be fine together. Typically though, most fish really school best with the8ir own species. Neons and cards are of the more common exceptions. Still, I would just stick a nice big group of the same species.

Amongst others, I have cardinals, black neons and diamond neons. The blacks keep to themselves but the other two shoal together.
Strangely, my rummy nose shoal with my glowlights and my harlequins shoal with my lemon tetras.
But when I've added a new species all the shoaling rules change.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Wow. I didn't realize they were all different. Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom