Neon tetra questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HandSomeDevil13

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I've been thinking about buying neon tetras for my tank. My question is what do neon tetras typically eat? How many can I have in a 5.5 planted tank? Are they sensitive to ph levels?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Neons will eat almost anything, so give them a diet that balances vegetable and meat products. (I like Omega Sea brand) They have tiny mouths, though, so buy micro pellets, or crush the flakes into tiny fragments.

And they can be delicate when first introduced into a tank, as I've recently learned. :facepalm:

BTW, what size tank is it, and how many neons were you considering?

Neons will eat almost anything, so give them a diet that balances vegetable and meat products. (I like Omega Sea brand) They have tiny mouths, though, so buy micro pellets, or crush the flakes into tiny fragments.

And they can be delicate when first introduced into a tank, as I've recently learned. :facepalm:

BTW, what size tank is it, and how many neons were you considering?

How many neon tetras did you add into your tank?
Well my tank is 5.5 gallons but it's heavily planted and I'm running a Aquaclear 20 so my filtration is more than enough for the tank.

I was considering on adding 3-5 but I wanted to know what my limit would be in a small tank like this.

Sorry to jump in. But how about a betta in the same size tank with some neons?

I'd be a little wary for two reasons:

1. The betta carries a larger bioload, so the OP would have less room for more neons. Neons like to be in a school of 5 or more, so I'd worry about overcrowding.
  2. You can never tell about a betta's personality: some are fine with tank mates, but some become little serial killers :eek: And some that seem fine will turn into "Jason" one day.

Bettas are beautiful and my favorite fish, but I think it's taking too great a risk putting them in this tank with the neons. Others may disagree, of course. :)

I honestly wouldn't keep more than 5 in a 5.5gallon. Fully planted with hiding spots aside, neons are fast swimmers and like space to 'play' in the water flow (I often catch mine doing this with my filter outflow).

Imo, a betta is a bit much. Even if it's not aggressive, the neons will most likely stress the betta out.

If you REALLY want to keep neons AND something else, I'd suggest some shrimp (but make sure they are around the size of the neons or they will be food) or some pygmy corydoras.

With an AC20 and being heavily planted, I'd say you could support 6-7 as long as you kept up with weekly water changes.

Thank you! I've been told not to keep any neons in a 5 gallon tank but I figured if my filtration is strong enough and I keep up with my 25% water changes I would be fine.

Quick question are neon tetras demanding? Because I was also looking into maybe getting black neons

I honestly wouldn't keep more than 5 in a 5.5gallon. Fully planted with hiding spots aside, neons are fast swimmers and like space to 'play' in the water flow (I often catch mine doing this with my filter outflow).

Imo, a betta is a bit much. Even if it's not aggressive, the neons will most likely stress the betta out.

If you REALLY want to keep neons AND something else, I'd suggest some shrimp (but make sure they are around the size of the neons or they will be food) or some pygmy corydoras.

I was thinking of adding 4 neons and maybe a red cherry shrimp into the tank.

They can be delicate when first introduced... as I'm learning to my chagrin. :banghead:

Would it be smart to add all 5 neons at the same time? Or should I buy three for now and buy the other two after?

I agree with Barliman. Add 3 first then the rest in a week or so if nothing looks amiss and your water params look good. You may see some bullying because the school is small, but that is normal and it'll be much better when you fill the school of 5.

I might be being over-cautious, but, in a tank that size, I'd add three one week, give the bio-filter time to adjust, then add two the next week.

I figured adding 5 all at once would probably give me a ammonia spike. How have your neons been doing by the way? ?

I agree with Barliman. Add 3 first then the rest in a week or so if nothing looks amiss and your water params look good. You may see some bullying because the school is small, but that is normal and it'll be much better when you fill the school of 5.

When they start bullying one another does the fin nipping get severe?

It's mostly just chasing. The ones being bullied may just hide in a corner or whatever hiding spot instead of swimming freely. I haven't seen any ripped fins or anything though.

The most I'd be concerned about is feeding. I've had one case where one was bullied to the point where it didnt bother coming out to eat. I had to separate it into a temporary bucket overnight with some frozen bloodworms to munch on when the lights are out. However once it ate finally, it rejoined the tank without any problems and the bullying stopped when I added the rest of the school

I figured adding 5 all at once would probably give me a ammonia spike. How have your neons been doing by the way? ?

Not so good. :(

The school is down to four. Tonight only one was swimming out front. Three were hiding in the plants doing that fin-flicking motion that tells me they're ill or stressed. Two of those came out to eat with the one who was out swimming, the third didn't. I suspect they're stressed: maybe by the active platys, maybe by their reduced numbers. I plan to get more (from another store) this weekend, but I wouldn't be surprised if one or two more died before that. :ermm:

Not so good. :(

The school is down to four. Tonight only one was swimming out front. Three were hiding in the plants doing that fin-flicking motion that tells me they're ill or stressed. Two of those came out to eat with the one who was out swimming, the third didn't. I suspect they're stressed: maybe by the active platys, maybe by their reduced numbers. I plan to get more (from another store) this weekend, but I wouldn't be surprised if one or two more died before that. :ermm:

Sorry to hear that ??
How big is your tank? Do you think it might be the ph level in your aquarium that might be stressing them out?

Sorry to hear that ??
How big is your tank? Do you think it might be the ph level in your aquarium that might be stressing them out?

It's a 20-long. Here's the build thread for it.

Water quality is fine: PH is ~7 and seems stable. Ammonia/Nitrites/Nitrates is 0/0/5, and I change 20% per week. Others here have mentioned losing many neons soon after adding them, so I don't think my experience is unique.

Just frustrating. :rolleyes:

Depending on if you can find locally ot tank rased fish sometimes a better result.

Imported and/or wild caught fish go through severe changes and stress. Capture, transport numerous times through wholesalers, to retailers - to you. Not any familiar food like they had eaten in the wild. Tremendous stress on fish in general. Bright lights, often newer tanks have little cover and small growing plants.

Neon Tetras like to have the ability to hide in something (even fake plants in several areas of the tank) if they want to, even if mostly they don't want to. But they like to have lots of plants that they can hide in and be near. Also not too bright of light with some shaded areas (can be some stem plants just floating).

Here is a link for a nice video of the fsh in a natural habitat. I think mostly it doesn't look like most of our tanks! (Hear them mention the poison used by some to catch fish -poor little guys)

Back
Top Bottom