Neon Tetra Tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freddiefish14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I have a 29 gallon tank with 9 neon tetras in it. They are really tiny and these ones won't grow much over 1"-1 1/2" so I just wanted to start thinking of ideas for other community fish. These guys are really tiny right now so I'm afraid about anything too big. Would black phantom tetras be aggressive with them. Also, any other ideas for tankmates? :thanks:

Tiger barbs, danios, ram cichlids, dwarf gourami, pleco. Tetras may be a little aggressive. The tiger barbs are very active but haven't has any problems with my neons yet

I would not recommend Tiger barbs and neons! My tiger barbs ate all my neons when I mixed them. I think rosy barbs (just make sure you have 2 females to a male)nor lemon tetras. I also like diamond tetras (such a sparkly fish) 2 or 3 of those would be fine.

fred said:
I would not recommend Tiger barbs and neons! My tiger barbs ate all my neons when I mixed them. I think rosy barbs (just make sure you have 2 females to a male)nor lemon tetras. I also like diamond tetras (such a sparkly fish) 2 or 3 of those would be fine.

I haven't had any issues. I have 6 neon tetras and 6 tiger barbs as well

i was really thinking about some dwarf gouramis Anyone have experience with them with neons?

Black phantoms are much less aggressive than the red phantoms. As long as you have the proper ratio of males to females, they should be fine.
I also agree that a dg and neons would be fine.

Mike4242 said:
I haven't had any issues. I have 6 neon tetras and 6 tiger barbs as well

Well I guess I had a mean, hungry bunch...lol..because within 2 hours of putting 8 neons in my tank my 6 tiger barbs had ripped them to shreds!

Well I guess I had a mean, hungry bunch...lol..because within 2 hours of putting 8 neons in my tank my 6 tiger barbs had ripped them to shreds!
No, that is honestly more the norm. Fish are individuals, so there will always be somebody who successfully keeps fish together that generally don't work as a combo for most everybody else. I agree with you that I wouldn't recommend neons with tiger barbs, but that doesn't mean it will never work, just that it often won't. :)

I have to agree, I had a BAD experience with some tiger barbs and neons, but I also agree about the dg and tetras. I have an opaline with my black neons and red flame tetras and have had a dwarf blue male with neons with no troubles.

How about different groups of small tetras and rasboras?

I keep neons, black neons, glow-light neons and harlequin rasboras together and they look great. The different colors compliment the other.

Back
Top Bottom