neon tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishy_friend

Aquarium Advice Regular
in my 95 litre tank among other fish I have 4 cardinal tetras and 3 neon tetras, they all school together and are happy. today I saw one neon chasing another one, the one chasing is slim and has a straight blue line and the one being chased was much rounder with a bent blue line (probably the female). I've never seen cardinals or neons do this, I thought that they spawned in dark and dirty conditions which is the opposite of my tank. my tank is opposite a window on the other side of the room so receives light but isn't constantly in the sun. also I clean out my tank once a week and the water is always clear. I was never bothered with breeding neons/cardinals as I don't have the money to set up a separate aquarium just for them. if they aren't spawning what are they doing?:confused:

They could either be playing or flirting.
I don't think that a neon and a cardinal will breed that easily but anything could happen.
Good luck hope I helped!

I love tetras and have kept about every kind. IME all tetras will spin, flair and bluff out each other at times. It must be a natural behavior. The most guilty are Serpaes, the least Rummynose. I had a half inch neon one time that got an attitude and chased a two inch Serpae all the way across the tank. So funny and surprising. OS.

I already did what you did, (4 neons, 3 cardinalis). They tend to not make difference between the two differents species and they tend to school together. If they're chasing and turning in round, they probably mating, but you won't see any fry, they require high quality water and dark to spawn and a special substrate.

Back
Top Bottom