neon tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryan

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a school of neon tetras and one of them is never with the rest and is lonely. the neons fins are ripped and it is faded in colour. whats wrong and how can it be solved?

Well this happened to me, and the neon didn't even last a day. If I was you I'd do a 50% water change, just so you know you did all you could. Most Neons live for months and even years given frequent water changes. As soon as you see weird behaviour from any of them, do a water change! It works for me.

I'm still a noobie, but I did read somewhere that when a schooling fish seperates from the group and the others pick on it, it usually indicates it has an illness. I would consider isolating it?

I would put the neon into QT and treat it with melafix. Do a water change on the regular tank as suggested. Melafix will help the neon heal from the injuries.

i did a 50 % water change and my water just has to get cleaned up by the filter cuz a bit of stuff was kicked up not alot.ill pick up some tomorrow when i buy my test kit. i will update about the fish its been like this for about 2 days.

i found the neon dead today and im still going to get the melafix just incase this happens again. i might get another small tank soon. but first is the test kits.

If money is tight you can use any container as a qt tank. Anything that can hold water deep enough to submerge a filter, i use sponges. A rubbermaid tote or some tupperware or even a glass bowl, nothing fancy. You dont even need gravel or keep it set up all the time. Keep it simple.

Good Luck,
Brian

Back
Top Bottom