Neon tetras and dwarf gourami compatibility?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mishyc

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was thinking of getting 2 dwarf gourami to add to my 64ltr tank that already has 10 neon tetras. I've just been told not to because the gourami will eat them, is this true? They are together in the shop but the neons in the shop are full size and some of mine are still quite small!

Also, I've just googled it and am getting conflicting information

I got 2 powder blue dwarfs and 6 neons in my community tank and they got no issues what so ever. They will not eat them, trust me.In fact I also got some small danios in there and no issues as well. The gouramis are so docile they can't be bothered. The neons don't even school because they feel so safe with them around. Do some research to see if you comfortably got room for them
IMG_0065.jpg

Thanks for the response, I know I've got room, it's a 64ltr tank and only ten neons at present. I'm glad I can get some, I just didn't want to upset my neons, they are happy and settled. What sex are tours, could I get same sex ones, I don't want babies?

* what sex are yours? What's what I meant

Neons? Who knows. Gouramis are both males. The males get territorial but as you can see in the pic they both have their own side of the tank and their own cave. They are both exactly the same size, so all they do is slowly approach the other then dart back when they know they are starting to get chased. They are not scared of each other in the least so theres no bullying or stress. They do meet me side by side at the top of the tank when it's time for feeding. Hunt around in these forums some more, other members have recently expressed negative opinions about the breed because of illnesses they are prone to get. Good luck

I have a 5 neon tetras in a tank with my dwarf gourami and they get along no problems!!

Thanks for the comments I'll research them some more before making my decision

Back
Top Bottom