Neon Tetras Dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandy2014

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got some neon tetras and a chinese algae eater yesterday from Petco, I floated the bags about an hour before adding the fish to the tank. At first they seemed to be swimming around really well, enjoying themselves. They were fine for a few hours and then they began to get stuck to my Aqua Clear Filter, at first I thought it was the filter so I just decided to turn it off until I could get a sponge to put on the intake. After I did this I found one at the bottom barely breathing, it passed. I started with 5 and was down to one within a few of hours. The last one passed overnight despite my filter being off. What could be the problem? My chinese algae eater is fine!

Welcome to the forum.

Had you cycled the tank prior to purchasing your fish?

Neon tetras are very fragile now due to overbreeding. So, depending on your water readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, their deaths can be attributed to either poor stock or toxic water conditions.

Okay, No I did not know you had to cycle for a while before adding the fish until looking on here this morning. :( I did add some of that Safe Start before adding the fish though. I will defiantly let it cycle for a while before getting some more. Thank you!

Read the Tetra Safe Start instructions really carefully. There are precise instructions to follow.

Back
Top Bottom