Neons.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry all! Just saw all these posts. Stupid smartphones. Anyway. Thank you for all your information. So much I don't know who to answer to now. Lol. Anyway. My ph is around 7.4. Always has been. One thing I never had a problem with was ph. So. All my levels of everything are good. I have a liquid tester and all levels tested out fine. Not to mention anther fish I bought from there along with the neons is fine. So it was crazy. I'm glad to hear someone has had them die suddenly. As for the acclimation process. I did the drop method. So I don't know what else I could have possibly done. I'm thinking about Doig another fish for the school so I will definitely look into the rummy noses. I Just think neons are so pretty.

Also. I know this is totally off the neon topic. But, i Have an algae eater. Cleans up the tank well. But, I'm wondering about other bottom feeders. Do they all do the same thing? I know some are not necessarily algae eaters so it makes me wonder what they eat... I haven't had my tank long. Maybe 4 months or 5. And it looks so dirty from poop. I do weekly water changes and have took stick advice from here. Maybe I just need to vacuum it? I just thougt it was a little soon to have to do that. Just wanting y'all's thoughts on that.

Sorry all! Just saw all these posts. Stupid smartphones. Anyway. Thank you for all your information. So much I don't know who to answer to now. Lol. Anyway. My ph is around 7.4. Always has been. One thing I never had a problem with was ph. So. All my levels of everything are good. I have a liquid tester and all levels tested out fine. Not to mention anther fish I bought from there along with the neons is fine. So it was crazy. I'm glad to hear someone has had them die suddenly. As for the acclimation process. I did the drop method. So I don't know what else I could have possibly done. I'm thinking about Doig another fish for the school so I will definitely look into the rummy noses. I Just think neons are so pretty.

Forums are great for information overload! :) Good luck and be careful if you go with rummynose because they are very tough to acclimate.

I don't want anything hard to acclimate. I have had so much trouble with the neons. What small schooling fish like those would you recommend? I can easily rehome the three neons I have, so I'm looking to just start a school of another kind.

I haven't personally kept them, but find the Harlequin Rasbora to be very attractive. They do well in tanks that have been set up awhile and are balanced. The freshwater specialty store near me has stunning planted display tanks with schools of rasboras. I'd do a school of at least 10. Do some research to see how they'll fit in your space and if they'll get along with the other fish you have, maybe it's something you'll like.

That's what someone recommended to me first actually. None of my local pet stores carry any? Weird. I would have to go out of town to get them from a Petco :( I researched them and do think they're pretty fish. I will have to see if its the best choice and if so just go out of town and get some lol

I put fish in a measuring cup with a handle so that i can hang it (from the inside) of the tank. Lights off then slowly add a few drops every 8-10mins. I try to double the water in the cup b4 adding the fish to the tank. It usually takes a few hours but I don’t lose the fish. Previously I was doing the same however quicker. I lost about three this way. By the way my tank sits at a ph of 6 and the aquarium stores water is at 7. That’s a massive drop to fish so the slower my acclimation process the better the fish are. So, could there be a large enough ph difference in your tank and the stores??

Harlequins are a good alternative or cherry barbs your neon problem is very strange I have 9 in my tank and my acclimatisation process is basic very basic I float the bag in tank for 15 mins then double the amount of water in the bag adding tank water of course and then I net them out of the bag into the tank your acclimatisation process could be taking to long and that's what's causing the problem from to much stress do u have the light off for an hour or two after adding your fish

Sorry for the long reply

Yes I turned the light off this last time too. Ie had three different sets of neons and none have been good. Yes I he heard o cherry barbs. Maybe that would work!

Okay well I hope you find something that takes your fancy I have neons harlequins and cherry barbs and there all brilliant as the neons didn't work maybe one of the others will

I have heard that neons were delicate,but I didn't know they just died like that!I have 2 and they must be the toughest of the tough because when I got them (when I started out aquarium keeping)I didn't know you had to acclimate a fish.I just added them and they were fine.They are really beautiful fish and I have 2 black neon tetras as well.They all school together and get along well with all my other fish.In my tank I have :
2 guppies
4 neon tetras(black and regular)
2 Siamese algae eaters
1 bronze Cory (will be getting a few buddies for this guy soon!)

If you're looking for a really beautiful yet hardy and small schooling fish I would suggest
A)harlequin rasboras
B)glow light tetra
C)black phantom tetra
D)rummynose tetra
E)bloodfin tetra

Yes I really want some rasboras. But someone else said they were hard to acclimate as well... So I'm gonna try the others he suggested. Can't remember the name. But yes you must have had really tough ones. I just can't seem to get them under control.

Cherry barbs are what he suggested. I just need something small. Because that will be the fullest stock I can have for my tank

Cherry barbs aren't small when fully grown. Rummynose tetras are actually considered the hardest. It isn't uncommon for an entire shipment to crash overnight. Remember everyones tank chemistry is different and while some fish do fine in one persons tank doesn't mean they will in another persons. But overall Rummynose, Cardinal, and Neon tetra's are notoriously bad for dying within the first week. As for small fish Harlequin rasbora's are hardy. Also glowlight tetras can be a good alternative to neons. Black neons are a lot larger than regular neons in their adult size.

Back
Top Bottom