Neons and what else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 29gal has been empty for some time and I just don't know what to put in it because I have the majority of fish I like in my 75gal.

So I was thinking about something simple but colorful. Im thinking about getting 10 neon tetras but I would like one or two larger "centerpiece" fish but I can't think of anything that won't attack/eat the neons.

Any suggestions?

Keyholes? Bolivian rams or apistogramma? Neon blue gouramis are cool too, or paradise fish. Or, how about 2-3 female bettas?

I would think the majority of rainbow fish would either be too large for my 29gal and would need more than two to school, because I had thought about that, Pleco.

Hmmm, I think keyholes would actually be really nice.

Maybe... 10 neons, two keyholes and a neon blue gourami? (assuming I watch my parameters and what not)

Edit- I just called my local petco because I have a giftcard and right now their "small assorted cichlids" are on sale. I asked if they had any keyhole cichlids right now, and the girl said no so then I asked "do you ever stock keyhole cichlids?" and she goes "Uhm, Ive never even heard of them"
*rolls eyes*
Go figure.

Anyways.. thought I'd share =o)

I have pearl gouramis with my neons. I love pearl gouramis, they're so pretty and colorful when they're adults, and quite peacefull. It's awesome if you can get a male and a female. I had two that really bonded. He died about a year ago and she still misses him (hasn't acted the same since, even after I got her a boyfriend). I've kept them in an 18 gal tank, so they should be fine in a 29.

I will look into the pearl gouramis, Julie! Thanks for the suggestions

Joannde- as much as I love congos (I have thought about putting them in my 75gal), I would need enough for them to school (about 5) which would overload my tank with the neons =o/

blue RAMs and Chocolate Gouramis is what I have with a school of 8 Jumbo Neons. RAMS and gouramis don´t get on so well though...I have a 29G too and it seems just enough for a couple of RAMS.

The rest of them are danios, 2 SAE and 1 otto.!!!

Personally i wouldn't go with the Apisto's. To thrive they need to be in groups of about 10-15, as harem breeders the aggression becomes a problem.

I'd go with a m/f pair of Bolivian Rams or Keyhole Cichlids.

Or a Betta?

Many apistos are harem breeders, and would do fine in a 1M/3F ratio. I keep 1M/1F a. steindachneri in a 20 gallon and they are thriving. The female has doubled in size since June, and the male has tripled in size, and his coloration looks great.

You could easily do 1M/3F in a 29 if you can find them. I would have gotten more apistos but wasn't able to find them. JMO

lyquidphyre said:
Edit- I just called my local petco because I have a giftcard and right now their "small assorted cichlids" are on sale.

I would be wary of these "small assorted cichlids". I have a feeling that they are Africans which will grow pretty big. TOO big for your 29 gallon tank and what you have in there. They may eat the neons when they get bigger. The problem with places like Petco is that they never get in any "specialty fish" such as GBR's, Bolivians,..., etc. that you may want.

What about 2 male sailfin mollies? Mine hang out together and their fins are so beautiful. They leave my cardinals and pandas (which are extremely tiny right now) alone except the occasional bump since I don't think the mollies see too well. The males are genereally prettier than the females and there won't be any reproducin'.

bs6749 said:
lyquidphyre said:
Edit- I just called my local petco because I have a giftcard and right now their "small assorted cichlids" are on sale.

I would be wary of these "small assorted cichlids". I have a feeling that they are Africans which will grow pretty big. TOO big for your 29 gallon tank and what you have in there. They may eat the neons when they get bigger. The problem with places like Petco is that they never get in any "specialty fish" such as GBR's, Bolivians,..., etc. that you may want.

I know that the majoirty of Cichlids would grow too big for that tank, but I figured if they had Keyhole's they might fall under that sale =o)

Shayfish- you know, I just don't like mollies. I don't know what it is, but its just not my "kind of fish"- to each their own I guess! But thanks for the suggestion anyways :wink:

Ha ha.. mollies are so harmless. I guess everyone has their tastes though! In that case I am going to second the gourami notion. Pearls are pretty and peaceful IME.

Back
Top Bottom