Neowind's 22 Gallon Long Forest Paludarium Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neowind712

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Paludarium Information:
22 Gallon Long Mr. Aqua Rimless Aquarium
2x 25w 6500k LED pendants
1x 30w LED adjustable kelvin fixture
2x Tetra waterfall filters for filtration and waterfalls
Lots of Egg Crate and Pond Foam
Josh's Frogs Plant Substrate
20lb Eco Complete Substrate
100w Titanium Submersible Heater
Window Screen
Styrofoam
PVC Pipe

Planned Paludarium Inhabitants:
Vampire Crab or Fire Bellied Newt
Harlequin Rasbora School
Neon Tetra School
Cory Catfish of somekind

IMG_2999.jpeg

I have dreamed for years of having some type of complete ecosystem setup inside my home. I seen a few setups here and there that blew my mind over the last several years, but I tried them on small scale and failed miserably. When I say small scale I mean like 1 gallon size. Finally I came accross a YouTube channel called Serpa Design and wow did that spark my interest. I finally got the bravery up to go out and just go for it. I don't have a ton of space so I still had to stay somewhat small, but I went with the 22g long to give plenty of space for the fish to swim. I wanted to create two large waterfalls to give a sense of some of the forest in my area that contain very large waterfalls. I wanted to bring that peace inside.

IMG_2997.jpeg

Very interested in watching your build. Congratulations on being brave and getting this build going. You can always fix, improve or change anything that doesn't work.

I have a very small Paludarium not yet to set up because it is very small and I can't really figure out how to make it appealing the way I had in mind. So I haven't done it yet. Serpa Design and also some builds here over the years have also really been inspirational to me too.

Very exciting to see that shopping cart full of build stuff. :popcorn:

Step 1 - Building the elevated landscape and waterfalls

So my vision is two have two islands of sorts with two separated waterfalls that have a little different feel from each other. One island will have access to the water for the crabs and I may include a natural bridge for them to cross over to the other island as well. To construct these islands I have selected the following material:

Egg Crate
Fiberglass Window Screen
Weed Control Lining
Zip Ties
Great Stuff Pond Foam
Tetra Whisper 20

IMG_3028.jpeg

IMG_3034.jpeg

Step 1 - Building the elevated landscape and waterfalls

So my vision is two have two islands of sorts with two separated waterfalls that have a little different feel from each other. One island will have access to the water for the crabs and I may include a natural bridge for them to cross over to the other island as well. To construct these islands I have selected the following material:

Egg Crate
Fiberglass Window Screen
Weed Control Lining
Zip Ties
Great Stuff Pond Foam
Tetra Whisper 20

IMG_3028.jpeg

IMG_3034.jpeg

starting to take shape : )

To form the waterfall height I used insulation styrofoam to be the skeleton if you will for the great stuff pond foam. This allowed me to get height and the shape that I was looking for.

IMG_3035.jpeg

Next I would apply the Great Stuff pond foam (Fish Safe) to form the waterfall and the above water planting area. I build it high enough to hold plenty of substrate to plant my plants. It looks a little like a lava scape at this point, but that will change as I begin to add moss and plants to cover it up. I will also be gluing bark and other things to make it look more natural.

IMG_3070.jpeg

The next step is to begin making the land area more realistic looking. I spread 100% silicone all over the great stuff foam and smoothed it out and then added the coco fiber on top and pressed it in.

IMG_3078.jpeg

After that it was the fun part. I started planted the above water plants. I wanted to give it a forest type of feel. I added some ficus species of tree and then began adding different types of plants around it to try to resemble a forest flooring.

IMG_3082.jpeg

The next step is to begin making the land area more realistic looking. I spread 100% silicone all over the great stuff foam and smoothed it out and then added the coco fiber on top and pressed it in.

IMG_3078.jpeg

After that it was the fun part. I started planted the above water plants. I wanted to give it a forest type of feel. I added some ficus species of tree and then began adding different types of plants around it to try to resemble a forest flooring.

IMG_3082.jpeg

wow that is freaking beautiful

Very interested in watching your build. Congratulations on being brave and getting this build going. You can always fix, improve or change anything that doesn't work.

I have a very small Paludarium not yet to set up because it is very small and I can't really figure out how to make it appealing the way I had in mind. So I haven't done it yet. Serpa Design and also some builds here over the years have also really been inspirational to me too.

Very exciting to see that shopping cart full of build stuff. :popcorn:

Thank you for following along! I hope you enjoy the ride :)

IMG_3078.jpeg

IMG_3082.jpeg

what are you using to cover your base panels?

The tank and the stand are looking mighty fine! Great job on the stand, it looks really strong and nice.

Especially loving the Bonsai type tree there. Had a plan for one on a large SW lagoon tank (which isn't going to be built right now) but love the look of it. So happy to watch yours grow up! Good luck for the growing on all the plants.

Here we go! Got the setup up and running. What do you guys think? I am happy with how it has turned out so far. Not done for sure, but at least there is water running.

IMG_0070.jpg

Back
Top Bottom