Nerite snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Critterlvrok

Aquarium Advice Activist
Really would like to get a snail. I'm leaning towards a Nerite snail. Is it true they don't reproduce in FW? I don't want one that will reproduce as I am careful when feeding to make sure I do not over feed however the husband often breaks his "grounding" and feeds the fish because "they look hungry!". I've recently been threatening to start breaking fingers if I catch him just dumping food straight into the tank from the food container. Sorry I digress, do Nerite snails reproduce rapidly? Are they designated sexes? Or asexual? And most importantly what is their bioload? I love shrimp but in my 20g tank I have 2 killi so shrimp are out. I need some guidance as my lfs keeps talking me out of snails. Can you believe that? :)

I'm not sure about their bio-load, but! They need saltwater to reproduce, they need a mate, and they go great in your tank! I have one in my tank with shrimp and guppies. So even if it was male+female they couldn't reproduce, they can't reproduce alone, and even if they were to lay eggs they don't hatch it FW so you wouldn't have extra snails.

A Nerite snail won't reproduce in FW because their offspring won't survive in freshwater. They have male and female (they are NOT hermaphrodites).

I can't make an authoritative statement about the level of their bio-load. However, I've read that other people feel they have a low bio-load. Also, it seems they would have a lower bio-load since they are small, don't seem to move quickly even for snails whcih maybe indicates a lower metabolism, and prefer eating algae which is low in protein/nitrogen.

Back
Top Bottom