nerite snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patola_l

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey all, i want to get some nerite snails for my 33 gallon brackish tank. However my lfs sells them in freshwater. I know they like brackish, but how do i acclimatize them? any help would be awesome

i have 4 nerite snails in freshwater tank. they will do fine in fw. here's a great article about nerites.

Nerite snail

You would just have to SLOWLY acclimate them. Maybe give them their own little fish bowl/tank and acclimate them to your FW. Then slowly increase the salinity over the course of a week or two until it matches the salinity in your brackish tank. Then you can just transfer them into the brackish tank.

I don't know for sure thought. You might can just drip acclimate them very slowly, but I think the slower the better.

I know they reproduce in brackish so that can be an issue.
But I believe drip accumulation should do it, they can survive in all types of water so it's just introducing them to your brackish tank.

i have 4 nerite snails in freshwater tank. they will do fine in fw. here's a great article about nerites.

Nerite snail
oops i thought you wanted to keep them in fw. just saw you have brackish tank. should be fine in your tank. as others said acclimate them slowly.

my salinity is only 1.004... i think I'm gong to drip acclimate them over 24 hours... a friend of mine did that and his are doing well. hopeful that will work! thanks! as far as reproducing, i know they will lay eggs in freshwater and brackish, but not many will hatch in brackish...especially at 1.004 salinity... most say eggs to full marine conditions to hatch and survive

Back
Top Bottom