Nerite snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How many nerite snails will be efficient enough for a 20 gallon long? Will they add to the bioload of my tank and do they eat diatoms and the type of algae in the pic below? If I get nerite snails will I still need my otos?IMG_6107.jpg

Nerites will eat algae on glass but probably not all of it; sometimes you can see little squiggly lines where they've eaten some algae just in a little trail. Any living creature will add to the bioload. I like snails, but it's probably easier and more reliable to just use a scrubber to get the algae off. I saw in another post of yours that you are thinking of adding more otos; these will also add to the bioload and moreover are usually all wild-caught and are known to be difficult to transfer to aquariums without losing a few, so that's something else to think about. If that algae on the glass is hard then otos will not eat it but nerites will, but like I said not necessarily all of it. Again, any creature you add to the tank will add to the bioload.

Nerites will eat algae on glass but probably not all of it; sometimes you can see little squiggly lines where they've eaten some algae just in a little trail. Any living creature will add to the bioload. I like snails, but it's probably easier and more reliable to just use a scrubber to get the algae off. I saw in another post of yours that you are thinking of adding more otos; these will also add to the bioload and moreover are usually all wild-caught and are known to be difficult to transfer to aquariums without losing a few, so that's something else to think about. If that algae on the glass is hard then otos will not eat it but nerites will, but like I said not necessarily all of it. Again, any creature you add to the tank will add to the bioload.
Like your thinking....lol mag float

I would clean the back glass if I could move my tank away from the wall and get back there.

Oh, sorry, I'm fresh out of ideas then unless you have a housemate who would be willing to help out.

Back
Top Bottom