netting fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spyyro

Aquarium Advice Regular
What's the safest and easiest way to net a fish? I'm soon to move mine over to their new home (once the new net comes in) and I'm wondering the best way to do it. Is it safe to net all fish and if not, how do you move them then? All LFS 's I've ever been to net everything but I've heard they do a lot of questionable things at those places. Is a BGK ok to be netted? He's about 5" long. I know mine are all probably "net ok fish" but here's what I have...

4 tetras
6 tiger barbs
2 albino cory cats
2 rainbow sharks
1 albino CAE
1 BGK
1 striped raphael

That looks cool... I think I'll try it first. I'm sure I can catch some of them this way but I'm not convinced I can catch them all like this.

spyyro said:
That looks cool... I think I'll try it first. I'm sure I can catch some of them this way but I'm not convinced I can catch them all like this.

I would bet you can.........it may take a couple days, just don't feed them outside of the bottle trap. :)

Actually, I don't think my Tiger Barbs will even fit through the bottle opening of the 2 liter I have here. I guess I could cut the actual top off the bottle before turning it around inside but wouldn't that make it a lot easier for them to get back out? Some of my barbs are quite fat and large! Most of my other fish probably can get inside ok. Actually, there's no way I can catch my Striped Raphael... I have only seen him eat once since I got him and he's a little wide. Oh well, I'll figure it all out and post results. Will probably try before the weekend.

question...is it safe to put those bottles in your tank? when I removed the label there is glue residue on the bottle...cant wash it off.

Hmmm... I'll see if I can maybe scrape it off. I'll be trying to make it later tonight prob.

thast a neat idea, all your fish ar epretty net friendly, not sure about the BGK though, fo rhim I woul djust lure him into a cleaned out peanut butter jar and screw the cap on when he's inside lol

The knife should be fine with a net as well, they don't have any spines or anything to get caught. I've netted mine without problems.

The problem is actually getting him in the net. It will probably require some stealth and treachery, rather than pure speed, unless you clear all the decorations and use a pretty large net.

Edit: the glue residue is probably ok, but I would take some nail polish remover (acetone) and use that to get it off. It's possible it will dissolve the plastic as well, but that shouldn't be a big deal as long as you let the acetone dry and then wash off the bottle well afterwards.

Yea, I have a rather small net but I do have one in the mail that I ordered w/ some other things that should be here on Monday. Since I'm moving these fish from the 29 gal and then breaking it down to sell, I'll just clear out all the decorations and plants so there's nothing that will get in the way. I'll probably try and net them with the current net I have though. If it gets too difficult... I'll have to wait for the larger one.

No issues netting a BGK. As was mentioned, no barbs or spikes to get caught.

The raphael you'll have to be careful netting. Being a catfish, he'll have spines along his pectoral fins, that can get caught in the net. This can be a real mess if it thrashes and tangles itself in the net.

Be careful when using the bottle method. In one night, I caught several cories, SAE's, tetras, and all were gasping by the time I got to them. One cory had died. Be sure to use a 2L bottle (or bigger) and not just a 20oz. Also check the trap often, no sense in stressing them out more than they already are.

I made mine out of a 2 Liter bottle and it's been in there, baited, for about 2 hours now and the fish aren't even interested in it anymore. They messed with it just for a bit here and there when I first put it in but now they seem to be ignoring it completely. They hadn't been fed yet either. I placed flake, shrimp pellets, and freeze dried bloodworms inside the bottle for the bait. I don't like the idea of leaving it in there overnight so I think I'll just end up netting them tomorrow sometime.

Back
Top Bottom