Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2005, 01:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Never Use A U/G Filter

Well today I was removing my undergravel filter and all the substrate and well under the plate it was just filled with rubbish, waste, leftovers OMG. It made the tank really smell. I did a 100% water change it was that bad so i would advise no one to ever use one !

Old 08-26-2005, 01:36 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I feel your pain Steven...that is indeed a messy and smelly job. What you uncovered was the location of the fabled "nitrate factory".

Congrats on a job well done!

Old 08-26-2005, 01:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you. My tank is still a bit cloudy but when it is clear I will post images of the puffer's new tank. I do as well .
Old 08-26-2005, 04:00 PM   #4

UGF's are the DEVIL!!!!
Old 08-26-2005, 04:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Some people have had great success using them and swear by them. I think it all has to do with the required maintenance. It is more extensive than a power filter. I personally will never use one again because I like the ease of the hobs.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 04:38 PM   #6
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Back in the early seventies, they were all the rage...all too well I remember maintaining those beasts.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 04:39 PM   #7

its not that they can't work, its just that there is a better alternative now that can cause less problems.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Everyone makes it sound like the only way to get rid of the stuff under the ugf is to pull it out and then do huge water changes. It is really quite simple. When I do gravel vac's I stick the siphon down the uptubes and suck out all that junk. It gets out tons of 'stuff' quickly and easily. That aside, I probably won't use it on my theoretical 75 gal tank because it is bad for heavy-root-feeding plants (right now all my plants are potted in my brother's special-blend). If I did it would be a powered ugf-hooked up as part of my 700 gph diy Omega filter.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to wxboilermaker
Has anyone heard of running a reverse flow UGF? It still uses a canister filter or someother external pump, but forces water from the bottom of the gravel upward. It's supposed to give really good bio filtration with very low tank current.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've never used it but have heard some success stories. It really reduces the amount of junk in your aquarium. Unless the external filter is large it will clog quickly as basically everything goes into it.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:29 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

The purpose of a filter is to remove particles from the water, and if every thing went into it, it would be a good thing.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to wxboilermaker
yea, I couldn't imagine it being any dirtier then running a canister alone. You're just rerouting the water flow to a different location.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:26 AM   #13

yes it does reduce the amount of junk you "see" because it sucks it all into the gravel. Then you have to vacuum it all out. Without an UGF everthing is pulled into your HOB or canister filter and yes, you do see some junk on the bottom but its much easier to vacuum out. Also if you have a UGF and a HOB filter, they are kind of working against each other.

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com