New 1.6 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xdarkfaith

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys! ;) what do you think of my new 1.65 gallon isolation tank? :D got it for $28

Attachments

• image-1415617124.jpg
    image-1415617124.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 164
Cute! So you're using it as a quarantine/hospital tank then?

Yes..it is very small to keep a gold gourami in for any amount of time..really.

hey siva a ltitle help? i jsut got this tank and the gourami i have inside is dying! isit because i didnt let the filter on for 24 hours?!

Xdarkfaith said:
hey siva a ltitle help? i jsut got this tank and the gourami i have inside is dying! isit because i didnt let the filter on for 24 hours?!

You would need to let the filter run for much longer than 24 hours. With any gourami in the waste would build up so fast that it's almost pointless to use IMO.

To answer your question yes and no. Running the filter for 24 hours isn't cycling, it takes weeks or seeded filter floss. But the ammonia level is probably too high, so it could be killing your gourami.

I'm not exactly Siva, but still... :)

Is it a "new" new tank? How long ago did you set it up? Is it cycled? Have you checked the water (parameters)?

I'm doing a similar thing with my 12l tank with shrimps in it, so I know that's the basic set of questions :)

Xdarkfaith said:
heh! yes :D its too small to house my 3 gold gouramis !

IMO a 1.6 G tank doesn't work not even for a hospital tank, unless you put there a small fish, and just for a really short time ( 1 or two days). With such a small tank, the bioload is to high from the gourami that you will need daily water changes. This will stress even more a sick fish.

Hey thanks for all your suggestions and opinions! And yes it is a new new tank, i just saved that gourami by putting it bak into its prrvious tank and its doing fine now. Im
Gonna cycle the tank now
And maybe start it with a few guppies again! We will see how it goes! I just syatyed it 6hours ago and i just got the tank 7 hours ago!

Hi there,

Judging from your previous posts, you are planning a bigger tank for the gouramis right?

Also, did you read the links on cycling that were posted in your previous thread? If not, here they are again, with a few additional ones as well:
1.The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
2.I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!
3.http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/other-ways-to-cycle-your-tank-163524.html
4.http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

Dude the only thing that tankis big enough for is shrimp and snails lol

I second that.

And only small snails like pond snails and ramshorns. Mystery snails (Pomacea difusa) need 2.5 gallons per snail.

Or it would be good for plants! :)
I didnt know that mystery snails needed that much space. He could do live plants shrimp and nerite snails though right? There is one kind of fish that would fit in it. It is about the size of a guppy fry but I cant remember what it is....

I didnt know that mystery snails needed that much space. He could do live plants shrimp and nerite snails though right?

Applesnail.net recommends 2.5 gallons per Pomacea difusa. I imagine that's because they are the size of a golf ball / 2 inch ball and they eat a lot and poop a lot so they have a high bio-load.

I wouldn't do a tracked/tiger/zebra nerite snail in a 1.6 G because they really, really -- really -- seem to only eat algea, in my experience and in everything I've read, and I doubt a 1.6 G would grow enough algae to sustain even one, unless the 'tank' was in a sunny window :) A horned nerite might be ok because they are much smaller.

Maybe plants and small/dwarf shrimp like Red Cherry Shrimp -- with a filter -- but I don't know much about shrimp.

Hey thanks for all your suggestions and opinions! And yes it is a new new tank, i just saved that gourami by putting it bak into its prrvious tank and its doing fine now. Im
Gonna cycle the tank now
And maybe start it with a few guppies again! We will see how it goes! I just syatyed it 6hours ago and i just got the tank 7 hours ago!
You have another tank in the house, right? You need to tank some filter media from one of the other filters and put it in the filter on this 1.6. If this is the only place you can put your sick gourami, it may have to do, but you must have some seeded filter material in there..that's how you bring over some of the bacteria that will eat the waste produced by the fish. If you have any further questions on how to do this...just ask.

Do you have a test kit?

How is that gourami doing now? What are it's symptoms?

It really would be wrong to put guppies in that tank. They need about 10 gals. They produce way too much waste for that filter to handle. Even the smallest of nano fish need more space than that tank can provide. It would make an adorable shrimp tank though! If you've never kept shrimp before, look into some red cherry shrimp, blueberry, blue pearls, or yellows. :)

Applesnail.net recommends 2.5 gallons per Pomacea difusa. I imagine that's because they are the size of a golf ball / 2 inch ball and they eat a lot and poop a lot so they have a high bio-load.

I wouldn't do a tracked/tiger/zebra nerite snail in a 1.6 G because they really, really -- really -- seem to only eat algea, in my experience and in everything I've read, and I doubt a 1.6 G would grow enough algae to sustain even one, unless the 'tank' was in a sunny window :) A horned nerite might be ok because they are much smaller.

Maybe plants and small/dwarf shrimp like Red Cherry Shrimp -- with a filter -- but I don't know much about shrimp.
^I agree it's too small for an apple snail. I actually go for about 1 apple snail per 10 gals. At full size they really have quite an appetite, and quite a bio-load to match (biiiig poops).

I'd agree on the nerite. I wouldn't stock those any more than 1 per 5 gals, and they should be added to pretty well established tanks because they eat only algae and often, if not usually, will not touch supplements like wafers and veggies. :)

Hmm... learn somethin new everyday lol Listen to these guys about the snails not me lol
The shrimp would do great though.

Back
Top Bottom